Communications from the Ad Hoc Committee on the Job Market
John Cawley (Cornell University; committee chair)
Matt Gentzkow (Stanford University)
Brooke Helppie-McFall (University of Michigan)
Peter Rousseau (Vanderbilt University; Secretary-Treasurer of the AEA)
Wendy Stock (Montana State University)
In May 2020, AEA President Janet Yellen appointed the ad hoc Committee on the Job Market. Throughout the job market season, we will be surveying job candidates and employers, and sharing information collected by the JOE Network, with the goal of providing accurate and timely information on the supply of, and demand for, new Ph.D. economists. Information and updates will be posted on this page.
- Webinar on the Economics Ph.D. Job Market
- Part I (Asynchronous): Recorded video providing information on the job market timeline, institutions, etc.
- Part II (Synchronous): Recorded video of the Live Q&A held on Wednesday, September 2, 2020.
- AEA Guidance on Timeline for the 2020-21 Economics Job Cycle (August 20, 2020)
- Memo on the Impact of the 2008-09 Financial Crisis on the Demand for Ph.D. Economists (August 11, 2020)
- Memo on trends in Job Listings on JOE Network (July 14, 2020)
The committee encourages job candidates and employers to use the following AEA resources to facilitate the job market for economists:
- The JOE Network includes a database of job openings for economists.
- Employers may sign up here: https://www.aeaweb.org/joe/employer
- Job candidates may search the database here: https://www.aeaweb.org/joe/listings
- The JOE Network also has an electronic clearinghouse for job candidates to submit job applications. Job candidates may register here: https://www.aeaweb.org/joe/candidate
- EconSpark: a moderated forum in which one can discuss topics of interest to the profession, including the job market:
- EconTrack: a board on which employers can indicate when they have extended interview and flyout invitations, and closed their search: https://www.aeaweb.org/econtrack
The committee thanks Michael Albert and Jenna Farabaugh of the AEA/JOE Network for their assistance with data analysis, webpage construction, and other matters.