JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2022 - January 31, 2023
The University of Sydney
Position Title/Short Description
Section: International:Full-Time Academic (Permanent, Tenure Track or Tenured)
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
JEL Classification: G0 -- General
Full Text of JOE Listing:
About the opportunity
The University of Sydney is Australia's first university and has an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. The University of Sydney Business School is one of the Asia Pacific region’s premier centres for engaged and innovative business education and research,and is in the one percent of business schools globally to hold accreditation from AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA. It is the only Australian member school of CEMS, the Community of European Management Schools & International Companies.
The Discipline of Finance at The University of Sydney Business School is a leading group in Australasia for finance and banking research, located in the exciting and multicultural city of Sydney. It comprises over 40 academics and professional staff with research strengths in corporate finance, asset pricing, empirical market microstructure, investments, banking and household finance. Our expertise is reflected in our sought-after degree programs, both undergraduate and postgraduate (including PhD), which promote a deep understanding of the key concepts and contemporary applications of finance.
We are currently seeking to appoint ambitious and collegial academics with expertise in one or more of the major areas of Finance. We are especially interested in recruiting emerging scholars with expertise in Asset Pricing, Investments or Corporate Finance but will consider all areas of specialisation. We offer a world-class research and teaching environment with strong links to the national and international academic community and industry. The Discipline of Finance values academic excellence, positivity, teamwork and cooperation. We are looking for outstanding early career academics with a passion for research and teaching excellence and a desire to contribute to the development of an encouraging, safe-to-fail, and ambitious academic culture.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
• contribute to the research strengths of the School, including regular publication in journals of high standing, pursuing research grants, and presenting and disseminating research findings through appropriate channels
• develop and deliver cutting edge, innovative and high quality teaching and learning at undergraduate and postgraduate level to large, culturally-diverse student cohorts
• be involved in interdisciplinary collaborations within the University and with external stakeholders
• contribute to academic administration
• supervise higher degree research students.
We are looking for a Lecturer in Finance who possesses:
• a PhD in Finance or a closely related discipline (A PhD under examination is acceptable)
• an active research program with demonstrable outputs and significant potential for future publication and lasting impact
• evidence of high-quality teaching in Finance at undergraduate or postgraduate level. We are especially interested in academics who have expertise in Asset Pricing, Investments or Corporate Finance but will consider all areas of specialisation
• interest in, experience of, or potential for teaching in large, interdisciplinary teams
• demonstrated capacity to stimulate, actively engage and educate a range of audiences using a range of media
• capacity to contribute to course and program development to maintain alignment with the contemporary finance environment
• experience in consulting or collaborating with industry, or potential and enthusiasm to do so
• evidence of successful teamwork and a collegial approach.
- Letters of Reference
- Job Market Paper
- Cover Letter