JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2022 - July 31, 2022
University of Maryland
Position Title/Short Description
Section: US: Full-Time Academic (Permanent, Tenure Track or Tenured)
Location: College Park, Maryland, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: A1 -- General Economics
undergraduate program leadership
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Position Number: 1P025
Category Status: 03-Faculty-Non-Tenured, Continuing Contract
Applicant Search Category: Faculty
Nature and Purpose:
The Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics is seeking to fill a position of Lecturer. This person will also serve as the Asst. Director for our undergraduate program. This person will assist in teaching and help grow and contribute to the enhancement and innovation of undergraduate teaching and administration of the undergraduate office. Approximately 40% of the duties involve teaching undergraduate courses. Other duties involve working with faculty to help innovate our undergraduate program. This includes undergraduate advising, providing courteous service to students, parents, and the campus community. Must be able to work with students, faculty, and administrators as well as excellent public speaking, writing, and interpersonal skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Teach existing classes and/or be willing to develop new courses.
• On-going advising of all undergrad students with AREC and Global Poverty Minor.
• Deliver high quality instruction based on enthusiastic engagement with students.
• Participate in department decision making, strategic planning, and recruitment for the undergraduate program.
• Participate in outreach programs to high schools and community colleges
• Continually develop and update curriculum and instructional materials, and integrate assessment activities and best teaching practices into classes
• Work with Director of Undergraduate and Graduate Studies and oversight of other academic staff in support of all aspects of the academic programs of the department.
• Willingness to assist with front office tasks during crunch times; i.e. be cross-trained.
Required - MS in an agricultural, environmental, natural resource economics or closely related field
• Primary instructional responsibility at high school or post-secondary level or teaching assistant for college level courses.
• Demonstrate excellence in teaching.
Preferences –Administrative experience, especially in undergraduate advising.
• PhD in agricultural, environmental, resource economics or closely related field
Salary and Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with education and experience. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package.
Applications: All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu. Please submit an application letter, resume/cv, and the names and contact information for three professional references.
Closing Date: Open until filled.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
- External Application Link