Small Group Breakfast Meeting for URM Scholars
The American Economic Association and its Committee on the Status of Minority Groups in the Economics Profession (CSMGEP) is pleased to sponsor the annual Small Group Breakfast Meeting for Underrepresented Minorities. The event features esteemed special guests each year:
- 2020: James Poterba
- 2023: Christina Romer, Susan Athey
Each year at the ASSA meetings we hold a breakfast for scholars who identify as underrepresented minorities (URM), including persons who identify as American Indian, Alaska Native, Black (not of Hispanic origin), Hispanic (including persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, and Central or South American origin), or Pacific Islander. The goal of this breakfast is to provide URM scholars access to prominent AEA journal editors, executive board members, thought leaders in specific areas of economics, or other economists to address issues of access to journals, conferences, and networks that are often out of reach for underrepresented minority scholars. Space will be limited to 20 participants.
- Cover letter of 500 words or less stating how attending this event will help with career and professional development goals.
- A short endorsement letter from a senior faculty member
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- US Citizen, Permanent Legal Resident, DACA, or Eligible Non-Citizen (as defined by FAFSA)
- Untenured faculty member OR junior economist in government, think tank, or industry.
Application Process and Deadline
Applications meeting the criteria and requirements listed above should be submitted to email@example.com with the subject line: "Small Group Breakfast Meeting for URM." by 5 pm ET of the first Friday in November.
Deadline Extended to November 15, 2022.
Selected attendees will be notified by early December.