JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2024 - July 31, 2024
NYS Department of Taxation and Finance
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Albany, New York, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: H7 -- State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Bachelor’s degree and ten years of relevant experience in public policy analysis and administration;
- Advanced Degree, Ph.D., J.D. or M.A.;
- Deep knowledge of tax policy;
- Ability to apply creative new approaches to policy analysis;
- Ability to work on sensitive and complex technical issues;
- Understanding of how tax policy affects the lives of New Yorkers;
- Broad knowledge of New York State government, particularly the legislative process;
- Aptitude for stakeholder outreach and engagement;
- Passion for promoting staff cooperation and development;
- Solid public speaking and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated success in team building and staff development;
- A forward-looking perspective – the ability to identify new trends and developments-- in tax collection, revenue generation and fiscal issues;
- Vision for improving the taxpayer experience in New York.
The Assistant Deputy Commissioner for Tax Policy and Analysis supports the Deputy Commissioner, by overseeing OTPA in the Deputy Commissioner’s absence. Specifically, the Assistant Deputy Commissioner:
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to develop tax policy recommendations for New York State;
- Stays current on tax policy developments in other states relevant to New York State;
- Supervises a staff of more than 90 people engaged in tax policy research and analysis;
- Oversees the development and publication of various reports analyzing tax policy, revenue collection and fiscal impact, as well as guidance forms, instructions, and publications;
- Represents the Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner in meetings with other branches of government, stakeholders and the public on matters related to tax policy;
- Helps develop and implement Department strategy for improving the taxpayer experience.
New York State is an equal opportunity employer. It's the policy of the state of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity in employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, or an arrest or criminal conviction record unless based on a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
- External Application URL and Instructions Below