JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2024 - July 31, 2024
Franklin Templeton Investments
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: San Mateo, California, UNITED STATES
E6 -- Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook
F4 -- Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
F5 -- International Relations, National Security, and International Political Economy
F6 -- Economic Impacts of Globalization
Full Text of JOE Listing:
At Franklin Templeton, everything we do is focused on one thing – delivering better client outcomes. We do that by partnering closely with our clients, assessing their strategic needs, and identifying the solution or solutions that can meet the challenge. Over 9,000 employees working in 32 countries around the world are dedicated to servicing investment solutions for our clients in more than 150 countries. For more than 75 years our success has been a direct result of the talent, skills and persistence of our people, and we are looking for qualified candidates to join our team. We are currently searching for a Research Analyst/Senior Research Analyst to join the Templeton Global Macro group at Franklin Templeton Investments in San Mateo, CA.
Templeton Global Macro has been a pioneer in unconstrained global fixed income investing for more than 35 years, beginning with the launch of its flagship Templeton Global Bond Fund in 1986. The team conducts global macroeconomic analysis at the regional level and country level, evaluating interest rates, currency valuations and credit conditions across the global fixed income markets. Team members meet daily to discuss ongoing market activity, macroeconomic indicators and political events to identify sources of investment value. Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) factors are also monitored and measured as part of the investment process.
Under the leadership of Michael Hasenstab, Calvin Ho, and Christine Zhu, Templeton Global Macro funds have invested in more than 50 countries and currencies in multiple regions across the globe. The team staffs 25 investment professionals and collaborates with the larger organization’s Local Asset Management teams around the world. As of December 2023, Templeton Global Macro managed $20 billion in assets.
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
• Provide detailed macro-economic, sovereign credit, and political analysis; monitor current market developments in an assigned set of emerging market and/or developed countries.
• Write and coordinate internal and external communications.
• Over time, analysts will be expected to make investment recommendations relating to macro- economic dynamics, interest rates, exchange rates, and sovereign debt.
• The Senior Research Analyst will work closely with other Research Analysts, Quant Analysts, Traders, Portfolio Managers and Portfolio Administrators.
We are seeking candidates with the following qualifications:
• A strong academic background and the ability to work well within a team setting.
• A PhD degree in Economics, or a related field. A strong understanding of macroeconomics is required.
• Relevant work experience in the field of economics is viewed favorably. Research experience that covers economic analysis and/or related macroeconomic research topics in international markets is preferred.
• Working knowledge of one or more languages in addition to English is preferred, as well as experience working with the international community.
Along with base compensation, other compensation is offered such as a discretionary bonus, 401k plan, health insurance, and other perks. There are several factors taken into consideration in making compensation decisions including but not limited to location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. At Franklin Templeton, we apply a total reward philosophy where all aspects of compensation and benefits are taken into consideration in determining compensation. We expect the annual base salary for this position to range between $100,000 to $200,000.
• Cover Letter
• Job Market Paper
• Letters of Reference
If interested, please submit application requirements through JOE
- Job Market Paper
- Letters of Reference
- Cover Letter