JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2024 - July 31, 2024
Employee Benefit Research Institute
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Washington, District of Columbia, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: Y1 -- Data: Tables and Charts
Full Text of JOE Listing:
About the Role
Employee Benefit Research Institute (EBRI) seeks a Research Associate specializing in employment-based health benefits and policy to join our team of research professionals. This person will help contribute to the health benefits research agenda by querying data sets, producing analysis, and publishing reports. EBRI’s health benefits research agenda is focused on assessing trends in the provision of employment-based health benefits, as well as helping employers assess the impact that various legal, regulatory, and market changes have on cost, quality, and access to health care.
This position is based in Washington, DC. EBRI staff are able to work from home at least 3 days a week.
• Develop, enhance, and maintain methodologies powering analysis on health benefits research, including but not limited to health care claims data, coverage, site of care, telemedicine, and social determinants of health.
• Use multiple data sources and formats, such as administrative health care claims data (e.g. MarketScan) and publicly-available data (e.g. Medical Expenditure Panel Survey and Current Population Survey) to contribute to and execute the health research agenda.
• Analyze health care economics at individual, household, and employer levels.
• Produce professional research copy and data visualizations that can be disseminated in multiple forms: presentations, long-form text reports, short summaries, infographics, and interactive Tableau dashboards.
• Collaborate with EBRI members, grantmaking institutions, academics, and associations on research initiatives.
• Continue recurring reports of descriptive statistics and create new research reports based on novel uses of EBRI’s proprietary data set.
• Represent EBRI at select EBRI member and industry events.
• High levels of competence in managing, extracting, and interpreting information from large data sets.
• Masters or Ph.D. in Health Policy, Health Care Management, Health Information Management, Health Economics, Public Policy, Public Health, or related field.
• Ability to explain sophisticated/complex topics to a wide range of audiences.
• Proficient in design, data collection, and analysis for both qualitative and quantitative data sources
• Two to four years' experience analyzing health policy and/or employment-based health benefits in a university or industry role.
• Subject matter expertise in relevant health topics, including U.S. health system and policy, employment-based health benefits, insurance landscape, and pharmacy benefits.
• General knowledge of household finance, Medicaid, and Medicare.
• Expertise in producing statistical analysis using SAS, Stata, or R.
• Working knowledge of MarketScan claims data, as well as other third-party or public health data resources.
• Excellent English-language oral and written communication.
• Willingness to participate in knowledge-sharing in an entrepreneurial environment.
• Willingness to travel to EBRI, member, and industry events.
This role reports to the Director, Health Benefits Research. Salary for this position is competitive for the experience of the candidate plus comprehensive benefits. To apply to this role, please send cover letter, CV/resume, three references, and two writing samples to jobs@ .
The Employee Benefit Research Institute is a private, nonpartisan, nonprofit research institute based in Washington, DC, that focuses on health, savings, retirement, and economic security issues. EBRI conducts objective research and education to inform plan design and public policy, does not lobby and does not take policy positions. The work of EBRI is made possible by funding from its members and sponsors, which include a broad range of public, private, for-profit and nonprofit organizations. For more information go to .
- Application Instructions Below