JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2023 - January 31, 2024
Bates White Economic Consulting
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Washington, District of Columbia, UNITED STATES
C1 -- Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
J0 -- General
L0 -- General
I1 -- Health
D0 -- General
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Bates White Economic Consulting
C55 Large Data Sets: Modeling and Analysis
L Industrial Organization
G Financial Economics
Bates White specializes in providing advanced economic, financial, and econometric analysis to law firms, companies, and government agencies. We help clients tackle tough issues with confidence and pride ourselves on delivering top-notch expert testimony and consulting advice. But what makes us successful is our commitment to providing a positive and rewarding experience—for our employees, our clients, and the community.
Bates White, located in Washington, DC, is seeking PhD candidates and experienced PhDs to work closely with senior staff and partners on high-profile engagements.
Responsibilities include economic research, empirical analysis, report and presentation preparation, and project management. The firm is looking for candidates who possess strong written and oral communication skills as well as the ability to think creatively, analyze complex data, develop clear, concise, and logical documents, and collaborate in teams.
We are seeking individuals interested in solving applied microeconomic problems. Expertise in industrial organization, labor, healthcare, econometrics, financial economics, and applied microeconomics/econometrics is helpful, but not required. As many of our cases involve working with large datasets, we are also seeking individuals with data science experience.
Our firm is recognized by leading academics and professionals as a premier place to work. Bates White has an innovative and entrepreneurial culture where bright minds from diverse backgrounds come together to solve difficult challenges facing legal, business, and government decision makers in the United States and around the world. In addition, the firm maintains strong relationships with key academics and industry experts.
We are deeply committed to providing a quality work experience and fostering and maintaining a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. This is evidenced in the firm’s academic focus, career development programs, and employee engagement activities. As part of our quality work experience and supportive culture, here is what you can expect from us:
* Competitive compensation and benefits including promotion and salary reviews every six months, bonuses, generous paid time off, a flexible work schedule, low healthcare premiums, a stipend for equipment at home, a wellness program, and much more.
* Immigration support and sponsorship of visas and green cards.
* A hybrid work environment with three coordinated in-office days/week with personal flexibility.
* A team-based approach to client work where you’ll work side-by-side with peers, managers, and experts, making it easy to learn, network, and contribute to cases.
* A transparent culture where your voice is heard, your input is sought, and your contributions are rewarded.
* Investment in your career through intensive training programs, an assigned mentor and peer coach, and frequent feedback.
* Networking opportunities through employee interest groups, our Women’s, International, and BWProud Networks, and our Diversity-Inclusion Council.
* A fun and engaging culture including social events such as practice-area happy hours, team dinners, and firmwide celebrations.
* Amenities including standing desks, a fitness center, a rooftop terrace, espresso, fresh fruit, breakfast and afternoon snacks, billiards, and ping pong.
* Employee-driven community outreach featuring creative fundraising events (e.g., trivia, game shows, cooking competitions), volunteer opportunities, pro bono opportunities, and matching funds along with our pro bono program.
For consideration, apply via our website at . Please also send three letters of recommendation to aea2024@ .
Early decision process
If you know that economic consulting is the field you want to pursue and are focusing your job search on private sector opportunities/will not be seeking an academic position, we recommend applying via our early decision process. The early deadline is Sunday, October 15. We commit to interviewing candidates and making offer decisions by mid-December. You should apply via our early decision process only if you are prepared to make a binding decision about whether to accept our offer by January 2, 2024 (before the AEA meeting).
Regular application process
For candidates interested in following the typical AEA timeline in their job search, the regular application deadline is Sunday, November 12. We will conduct first-round interviews virtually in early January and then host second-round interviews in our Washington, DC office or virtually in January and February. For more information, refer to .
Bates White is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and does not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at (202) 747-1463 or email your request to careers@ . All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the Know your Rights Poster for more information.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the Know your Rights Poster here:
- External Application URL and Instructions Below
- Letters of Reference Instructions Below