JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2023 - July 31, 2023
Chr. Michelsen Institute (Bergen, Norway)
Position Title/Short Description
Section: International:Full-Time Academic (Permanent, Tenure Track or Tenured)
Location: Bergen, Vestland, NORWAY
J6 -- Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers
P3 -- Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions
I1 -- Health
O1 -- Economic Development
Full Text of JOE Listing:
CMI has one vacant Senior Researcher position (100%, permanent position):
At Chr. Michelsen Institute (CMI) we have organized our research in different research themes; one such theme is Poverty and Global Health. Our research groups, which are organized around our themes, are comprised of researchers from different disciplines, as our research projects are multi-disciplined.
We currently have one vacancy in the Poverty and Global Health research group, and are looking for a senior researcher with an interest in cross-disciplinary work and expertise and knowledge of econometrics.
CMI is a private research institute, meaning that we are funded through research grants and by successfully winning research projects. This entails that researchers at CMI are expected to actively apply for and acquire research funds.
This researcher will be included in two of our ongoing projects funded by the Research Council of Norway (RCN), these are "Education for Sustainable Job Creation" (2020-2025) and "Job Network" (2021-2026). In addition, it is expected that this researcher will work to generate projects for CMI's Development Learning Lab (DLL).
Fall 2023 start date is available.
For this position, we are seeking:
- an excellent researcher, or a researcher with potential to become an excellent researcher
- in-depth quantitative methodological knowledge, especially on methods suitable for assessing impacts
- solid research competence
- good writing skills
- publication record
- at least two years of experience after the PhD (in economics, political science, or closely related fields)
- Innovative and creative mind, someone who can play a key role in developing new research within the thematic areas listed above, and lead application processes to the RCN and the EU
- Knowledge of foreign aid policies is an advantage
Please note that if one does not qualify for a Senior Researcher position, a 3-year tenure-track Post Doctoral position may be considered.
This position is located in Bergen, Norway. As a rule, CMI is not in a position to offer remote working arrangements for new staff members. Some work travel for this position is to be expected.
For full job advertisement see:
The application deadline is the 15th of September 2023. Please note we only accept applications via the JobbNorge recruitment platform (link above).
Questions regarding this position can be directed to:
- Research Director, Vibeke Wang
Questions regarding the recruitment platform or process can be directed to:
- HR Director, Hanna Fløysvik
- External Application URL and Instructions Below
- Letters of Reference Link
Your application must include:
- Application letter must address the qualification points outlined above.
- A letter of motivation (max two pages), detailing how their prior academic experiences fit into the project and reasons and desires for this application.
- CV (include information relevant to the items listed above, including information that sheds light on your degree of personal initiative.)
- Copies of a maximum of three academic pieces for evaluation.
- A minimum of three references, including phone numbers and e-mail addresses.
The application deadline is the 15th of September 2023. Please note we only accept applications via the JobbNorge recruitment platform.