JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2022 - January 31, 2023
Becker Friedman Institute
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Illinois, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: A -- General Economics and Teaching
Full Text of JOE Listing:
The Becker Friedman Institute for Economics (BFI) at the University of Chicago is seeking a skilled writer with a background in economics to amplify the research and expertise of UChicago economists. A successful candidate will have experience writing about economics and/or public policy, with economics coursework a bonus, and will also have experience in social media or digital journalism.
- Works with the Senior Economics Writer and Editor to produce Economic Findings and Research Briefs.
- Leads BFI’s presence on Twitter, facebook, and potentially other platforms:
- Amplify new working papers.
- Link existing working papers with current news events.
- Monitor social media channels to align BFI content with relevant discussions.
- Build creative social media content.
- Provides writing and editing support for other BFI content, including website and numerous collateral projects.
- Determines, researches, verifies, writes and edits publications, which often includes technical/scientific material for manuals or journals.
- Uses broad knowledge of writing to write in-depth pieces relating to specialized field (e.g. scientific writing).
- Designs and plans communications strategies.
- Performs other related work as needed.
- BA in journalism, communications or related field.
- 5-10 years writing experience, including in the field(s) of economics and public policy.
Technical Skills or Knowledge:
- Understanding of basic economic concepts, with economics coursework a bonus.
- 3+ years of experience in social media or digital journalism, including an understanding of mainstream and emerging social channels.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with fluency in the English language, including verbal and written communication with both internal and external contacts.
- Excellent writing, spelling, and grammar skills with the ability to take complex information and transform it into easy-to-understand copy.
- Strong research, organizational and learning skills.
- The ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize, and manage time efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be self-motivated and self-directed, with the ability to work independently or as an active member of a team, including taking direction from BFI leadership.
- Resume/CV (required)
- Cover Letter (required)
- Three Professional References (required)
- External Application Link