JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2022 - July 31, 2022
NYC Department of Finance
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: New York, New York, UNITED STATES
H0 -- General
H7 -- State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations
G3 -- Corporate Finance and Governance
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Job Vacancy Posting Notice
Job ID: 510490
Business Title: Policy Data Analyst
Proposed Salary Range: $75,504 - $86,830
Division/Work Unit: Tax Policy/Business Income Tax Research
Work Location: 59 Maiden Lane, New York, N.Y. (Current location but could be subject to change)
Career Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Civil Service Title: City Research Scientist
NYC Department of Finance (DOF) is responsible for administering the tax revenue laws of the city fairly, efficiently, and transparently to instill public confidence and encourage compliance while providing exceptional customer service.
The Tax Policy Division reviews, analyzes, and evaluates existing and proposed policies and legislation that affect the Department of Finance and New York City in general. This includes analyzing the revenue and distributional impacts of proposed changes to the tax system, monitoring, and reporting on tax and parking revenues, working with local and state public agencies and private sector interests to promote improved tax administration, and advising the commissioner, Executive Office, and the New York City Office of Management and Budget on revenue and budgetary issues. The Tax Policy Division is also responsible for all modeling and data mining for DOF’s Audit Division. Tax Policy also prepares briefing and position papers on tax policy and issues a variety of public reports and newsletters on tax- related issues.
Tax Policy, Business Income Tax Research unit seeks a Policy Data Analyst to perform data analysis, modeling, and policy evaluation tasks.
Reporting to the Director, responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
• Design and maintain business income tax samples by drawing stratified random samples, building micro- simulation models, creating policy-option baselines, and answering complicated business tax policy questions. This work requires SAS and Excel VBA.
• Perform extensive exploratory data analysis to develop analytic datasets by cleaning, testing, manipulating, and restructuring the data.
• Merge complex datasets from different sources to create consolidated databases.
• Produce periodic business income tax baselines and reports.
• Conduct statistical analysis on large volume of data to understand taxpayer behavior and government policy.
• Assist with ad hoc research projects and policy evaluation.
• Review business income tax returns in DOF's Business Tax System (BTS) to assist accountants with sample data cleansing.
• Communicate research findings with clarity to a range of stakeholders, including management and Executive.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
1. For Assignment Level I (only physical, biological and environmental sciences and public health) A master's degree from an accredited college or university with a specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological or environmental science or in public health.
To be appointed to Assignment Level II and above, candidates must have:
1. A doctorate degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and one year of full-time experience in a responsible supervisory, administrative or research capacity in the appropriate field of specialization; or
2. A master's degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and three years of responsible full-time research experience in the appropriate field of specialization; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least a master's degree in an appropriate field of specialization and at least two years of experience described in "2" above. Two years as a City Research Scientist Level I can be substituted for the experience required in "1" and "2" above.
Appointments to this position are subject to a minimum probationary period of one year.
• Proficient in SAS, Excel VBA, and SQL.
• Exceptional analytical and quantitative skills.
• Experience with analyzing large and complex datasets.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with ability to explain complex technical materials to non- technical staff.
In compliance with Federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
This position will require employees to have access to Federal Tax Information (FTI) and is subject to an additional background investigation before appointment. The candidate(s) will be required to pass the FTI background investigation as a term and condition of employment.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
To apply, visit: and search Job ID: 510490
Click the "Apply Now" button.
While we appreciate every applicant's interest, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Posting Date: 01/05/2022
Post Until: Until Filled
The City of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- External Application Link