JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2021 - January 31, 2022
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Position Title/Short Description
Section: US: Full-Time Academic (Permanent, Tenure Track or Tenured)
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: G0 -- General
Full Text of JOE Listing:
This is a 9-month tenured faculty position in the Consumer Science Department, with research, teaching and service responsibilities. The position includes a teaching load of 4 courses per year, which will include both online and in-person teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels. The position includes a role in the implementation of new online degree programs. Other responsibilities include leading an independent, externally funded research program, advising and working with graduate students, and participating in department, school and university service.
This faculty position is housed in the School of Human Ecology within the Department of Consumer Science. The 9-month academic year position includes a teaching load of four (4) courses per year (or equivalent), which will include online courses. The position carries a commitment to the three functions of UW faculty: resident and/or on-line instruction, research and outreach/service, as well as professional and university service as appropriate to the position and rank.
The successful applicant will be expected to:
- Develop and lead an independent, externally funded research program in consumer science;
- Collaborate with investigators in the Department, School of Human Ecology, and/or research centers at UW-Madison or its partner institutions;
- Publish results in leading journals appropriate to areas of investigation;
- Contribute to new online Personal Finance program;
- Teach both traditional and online undergraduate courses in Personal Finance and Consumer Finance in particular, and Consumer Behaviors and Marketplace Studies in general. (typically 4 per year);
- Serve as an advisor to graduate students and mentor to undergraduate students;
- Teach graduate seminars and workshops;
- Interact with industry partners, employers, and public agencies
PhD or other terminal degree Consumer Science, Household Finance, Consumer Economics, Social Work, Psychology, Sociology or related social science fields. Candidates should have quantitative and behavioral research skills focused on individual and household decision making in the areas of household finance, consumer finance, financial capability and asset building, or related area.
Years of experience will be commensurate with the rank sought. All candidates must have proven success in research and teaching appropriate to their stage of career. Associate and Full Professor candidates must possess experience and scholarly credentials for appointment with tenure at UW-Madison. Advanced Assistant Professor who are close to tenure at the time of the appointment are also encouraged to apply.
- External Application URL and Instructions Below
- Letters of Reference Instructions Below
1.a cover letter summarizing your interest in and relevant experience for this position;
2.a current CV focusing on education and professional experiences relevant to this position
3.a teaching statement (max 2 pages) and research statement (max 2 pages) describing your philosophy, accomplishments and goals, respectively.
4.a sample syllabus and evidence of teaching excellence; and
5.a diversity statement describing your experiences with diversity in your prior work and your potential to support our commitment to diversity and equity (max 2 pages).