JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2021 - January 31, 2022
Imperial College Business School
Position Title/Short Description
Section: International: Other Academic (Visiting or Temporary)
Location: London, UNITED KINGDOM
JEL Classification: G5 -- Household Finance
Salary Range: Internationally Competitive
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Duties & responsibilities
Imperial College Business School is beginning an initiative to study household data and decision-making in financial markets around the world, in an effort to develop a deeper academic understanding of household beliefs, preferences, and constraints
As a post-doctoral researcher on this initiative, you will work on projects which harness technological prowess to unearth patterns from data; and combine and discipline data analysis with economic theory and structural economic modelling. This will require a range of techniques in economic analysis including both empirical and theoretical work. The aspiration is to establish an academic knowledge-base on the underlying factors driving household decisions in a range of markets including risky assets, credit, pensions, and housing.
Key Responsibilities & Main Duties
• Conduct finance and economics research on a number of projects related to the initiative.
• Acquiring, collating, and analysing big datasets (structured, unstructured, administrative data, and surveys) from around the world documenting household financial and economic behaviour.
• Using state-of-the-art machine learning and other computing techniques to interrogate these data.
• Developing structural models to map patterns in the data into the beliefs, preferences, and constraints of households and of the agents that they interact with.
• Co-author manuscripts for submission to high-impact international journals in economics and finance.
• Contribute towards the development of research grant applications
• Participate in the day to day research activities of the Business School
• Present your research to a variety of audiences including funders, academics, and policy makers, at seminars, national and international conferences
• Undertake appropriate administration tasks associated with working at Imperial College
• Work collaboratively with all members of the Centre, Business School and College
• Undertake any necessary training and/or development to equip you with the tools and ability to conduct the required research
• Hold a PhD or near completion of one in Economics or Finance
• Theoretical and statistical / econometric analyses in research projects
• Communication and dissemination of academic research to a variety of audiences
This full-time post will commence from July/August 2022 and will be for fixed term of 24 months (with possible extension for up to a further 12 months).
Imperial College offers a wide range of benefits as well as a unique opportunity to work with friendly and dedicated We also offer you our commitment to training and development and a generous leave