JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2021 - January 31, 2022
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: 00 -- 00 - Default: Any Field
Status Update: No longer accepting applications
Full Text of JOE Listing:
The Opportunity and Inclusive Growth Institute is a research initiative housed within the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. It supports the Federal Reserve's goal of ensuring maximum employment by conducting and promoting research into how to ensure full participation in a well-functioning economy by all American households. Institute Research Economists are expected to conduct independent research and to support Institute operations. Reporting to the Director of the Opportunity and Inclusive Growth Institute,
• Originate and direct specific research projects on topics related to Institute focus areas, including distribution in the national economy, impacts of economic policies and growth of economic regions, labor markets, individual or household welfare/wellbeing, or related subject areas.
• Publish research papers on economic topics in leading economics research journals.
• As assigned by the Director, oversee and improve one or more core Institute activities (e.g. policy brief series, conference organization, community research partnerships, data distribution, visiting scholars activities, etc.).
• Present research at high-quality academic and policy conferences and in seminars at leading universities and other research institutions.
• Be a sounding board to peers on research projects.
• If assigned, analyze a range of information drawing on data and potentially broad social science research as a basis for evaluating policy alternatives relevant to the Bank`s policy mission, and provide analyses to management.
• Respond to requests from sources (e.g., local or national policy organizations, community partners, local government, etc.) outside the Federal Reserve System.
• If assigned, present research and policy analyses to Bank and Federal Reserve System audiences as assigned.
• If assigned, assist management in writing speeches and in performing related supportive activities.
• If assigned, assist Bank management in recruiting activities and organization of department programs.
A requirement of this position is that you must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or qualify for an accommodation from the Bank's vaccination policy; the Bank will provide accommodations as needed by law for individuals unable to be vaccinated because of medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
• PhD in Economics or Policy completed or expected by August 2022
• 2+ years relevant experience preferred, more for Senior Institute Research Economist position
• Level (senior) / salary determined by experience
This position requires access to confidential supervisory information and/or FOMC information, which is limited to "Protected Individuals" as defined in the U.S. federal immigration law. Protected Individuals include, but are not limited to, U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, and U.S. permanent residents who either are not yet eligible to apply for naturalization or who have applied for naturalization within the requisite timeframe. Candidates who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents may be eligible for the information access required for this position if they sign a declaration of intent to become a U.S. citizen and meet other additional eligibility requirements. In addition, all candidates must undergo applicable background checks and comply with all applicable information handling rules, and all non-U.S. citizens must sign a declaration of intent to become a U.S. citizen and pursue a path to citizenship.
• Cover letter describing interest and fit with the Institute (roughly one page)
• Current cv
• Recent academic paper on Institute-related topic (upload or provide link)
• References may be requested
Please upload all of these documents in the “Resume/CV” upload section in the Workday portal.
Application deadline is January 15, 2022. Employment will begin July, 2022, but start date is flexible.
Our total rewards program offers benefits that are the best fit for you at every stage of your career:
• Comprehensive healthcare options (Medical, Dental, and Vision)
• 401(k) match, and a fully-funded pension plan
• Paid time off and holidays
• Generously subsidized public transportation
• Annual educational assistance
• On-site fitness facility
• Professional development programs, training and conferences
• And more…
The Minneapolis Fed is committed to developing a diverse workforce and providing an inclusive environment where all employees are respected and valued. We believe that we can foster development opportunities for all and reach our full potential by recognizing the unique experiences and identities of each of our colleagues. From economists to cash specialists, we work together to represent you in our economy.
- External Application URL and Instructions Below