JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2021 - January 31, 2022
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Arlington, Virginia, UNITED STATES
00 -- 00 - Default: Any Field
C -- Mathematical and Quantitative Methods
D -- Microeconomics
I -- Health, Education, and Welfare
L -- Industrial Organization
Q -- Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Research Analyst - Economist
The Resources and Force Readiness (RFR) division of CNA is seeking candidates with backgrounds in applied microeconomics for three positions. Specifically, we are seeking:
1. An econometrician with experience estimating structural labor and/or IO product demand models. Specifically, we are looking for someone to help develop and estimate dynamic discrete choice and other occupational choice models. Candidates should have experience using maximum likelihood or GMM estimation methods.
2. An applied microeconomist, preferably with experience in the fields labor/human capital or policy/program evaluation.
3. A candidate with research experience in energy, environment, or industrial organization. An ideal candidate would have experience with mixed methods research in these fields.
Applicants should possess or be nearing completion of a PhD in economics and have an interest in applied, policy-oriented research and the ability to write, speak, and present to both technical and non-technical audiences in a clear and concise format. Applicants also should have strong analytic curiosity and creativity; the ability to operate independently in the execution of assignments; the ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment; strong critical thinking skills; knowledge of research techniques; strong planning and organizational skills; excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills; and the ability to interact positively and somewhat independently with clients.
The RFR division works on projects to support the Navy and Marine Corps, as well as other sponsors in the Department of Defense. As a Research Analyst, you will provide analysis to help develop and evaluate policies, practices, and programs that increase the effectiveness and efficiency of personnel, budgets, and other assets. Major research areas include workforce management, energy and the environment, health analytics and medical readiness, resource allocation and budget execution, and facilities infrastructure.
All our research is aimed at addressing our government sponsors’ problems. Whether through empirical research, modeling and simulation, or combined quantitative and qualitative approaches, we provide our sponsors with objective analyses that directly affect policy and practice.
CNA is a nonprofit organization specializing in providing objective analyses to government agencies and foundations. We have conducted such research for the Navy and Marine Corps for over 75 years, and much of our work continues to be with the Department of Defense. CNA fosters an inclusive culture that values diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Our flexible and engaging work environment encourages iterative and creative collaboration at every stage of the problem-solving process. Our employees are committed to using scientific, data-driven approaches to develop effective solutions that help clients better manage their programs.
- External Application URL and Instructions Below
• Cover letter (Why are you interested in this position? What are your relevant skills and experiences? Why would you be a valuable asset to CNA?)
• Graduate and undergraduate transcripts
• Job market paper or published research paper
• Three letters of reference
• Optional personal statement (Life experiences that have influenced you, events that have shaped you, obstacles to your educational or professional goals that you’ve overcome, your future goals). Please find the link for personal statement guidelines below.
***To officially be considered for this position, we invite you to go online to apply at:
Note that when you click "Apply" you will be directed to a login page, please create an account to begin the application process.
Application Deadline: 12/3/2021
Additional Information for Applicants:
Interviews will be conducted virtually starting in December.