JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2021 - January 31, 2022
Optimal Solutions Group
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: College Park, Maryland, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: I2 -- Education and Research Institutions
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Economist / Research Associate
Optimal Solutions Group (“Optimal”) has an opening for an Economist / Research Associate. Optimal conducts complex evaluations and analytical projects for the U.S. Department of Education, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Department of Labor, the Small Business Administration, the National Institute of Standards and Technology, as well as foundation-sponsored research.
The responsibilities of the Economist / Research Associate include providing subject area expertise; drafting study designs, data analyses, data collection, and other project tasks; writing sections of reports; and presenting results to technical and non-technical audiences. Optimal is especially interested in individuals with interest in and experience with projects related to regulatory impact analysis.
Requirements and Qualifications:
• Knowledge of the federal rulemaking process;
• Experience conducting cost-benefit analyses;
• Experience conducting economic impact estimation.
• Experience publishing research articles in peer reviewed journals;
• Knowledge and experience conducting literature reviews;
• Experience designing and conducting complex analyses and evaluations of workforce development programs or other labor market analyses;
• Strong analytical and quantitative abilities;
• Experience with statistics and programming with statistical packages (such as R, STATA, and/or Python);
• Demonstrated problem solving skills;
• Able to effectively communicate problems and results, orally and in writing;
• Able to work independently and as a member of a team;
• Self-motivated and interested in data-driven public policy analysis and visualization;
• A strong commitment to professional development; and
• A proven track record writing the technical portion of proposals for federal agencies, experience managing one or more junior staff, and experience in survey design are pluses.
Education and Experience:
Ph.D. in Economics, Public Policy, or other relevant field plus at least 3 years of relevant experience (prior or subsequent to . Alternatively, Master degree in Economics, Public Policy, or other relevant field plus at least 5 years of relevant experience.
- External Application URL and Instructions Below