JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2019 - July 31, 2019
American Veterinary Medical Association
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Schaumburg, Illinois, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: 00 -- Default: Any Field
Full Text of JOE Listing:
The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), a national not-for-profit association, established in 1863 & representing over 93,000 veterinarians working in private and corporate practice, government, industry, academia, and uniformed services, is seeking an Assistant Director of Data Science to join our Veterinary Economics team located in our headquarters office in Schaumburg, IL. AVMA’s mission is to lead the profession by advocating for our members and advancing the science and practice of veterinary medicine to improve animal and human health.
This newly created position reports to the Division Director of our Veterinary Economics Division. We are looking for a talented data scientist, skilled in analytics and visualization, to lead and deliver actionable insights for the veterinary profession. The right candidate will need to exhibit a strong combination of analytical prowess, technical aptitude, communication, and professional judgement. This role will require robust data wrangling skills, talent in advanced analytics, and excellent communication skills. Some background in machine learning, big data architecture, and experience building web applications is a plus. Ultimately, this role will help shape the veterinary profession through data and analytics and lead the way for high quality and policy-shaping decisions for the industry. Approximately 15% travel.
Additional qualifications include:
• Master’s degree in data science, statistics, engineering, computer science, econometrics or a related technical field; additional education (PhD degree) can substitute for the desired years of experience.
• 3+ years of experience as an analyst, data scientist, or related quantitative role engaged in relevant quantitative and qualitative research and analytics.
• Significant experience in large-scale data analysis, data integration, data mining, optimization techniques, algorithm design and development, and data visualization.
• Working knowledge of econometrics, statistics and probability; experience with more advanced modeling techniques (e.g. ML, Bayesian, choice modeling) is helpful.
• Proficient programming skills and strong knowledge of database management and architecture are a must.
• Practical knowledge and experience using R, SQL, and Python (and its scientific libraries SciPy, Scikit, Pandas, NumPy).
• Talent and expertise in creating eye-catching data visualizations using software packages; experience using Tableau and other similar packages is highly desirable.
• Interest in more advanced topics in analytics including machine learning, artificial intelligence, data engineering is a plus.
• Experience working with imperfect data sets that, at times, will require improvements to process and prepare for analysis.
The AVMA offers a flexible/supportive work environment & excellent benefits. Deadline for application is 2/14/19. Application must include cover letter, resume, & salary requirements. Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the AVMA:
Located in Schaumburg, Illinois, with an office in Washington, D.C., the AVMA is structured to work for its members, and acts as a collective voice for its membership and for the profession. The AVMA provides a number of benefits to its members, including information resources, state and federal advocacy, opportunities to address issues affecting policies that govern the profession and practice of veterinary medicine, continuing education opportunities, quality publications, and discounts on personal and professional products, programs and services. The work of the AVMA is carried out by a dedicated staff of over 160. The organization is governed by an 18-member Board of Directors and has a $40M+ annual operating budget.
- Application Instructions Below