JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2017 - January 31, 2018
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: New York , New York, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: 00 -- Default: Any Field
Full Text of JOE Listing:
BlackRock is a global leader in investment management, risk management and advisory services for institutional and retail clients. At December 31, 2016, BlackRock’s AUM was $5.1 trillion. BlackRock helps clients around the world meet their goals and overcome challenges with a range of products that include separate accounts, mutual funds, iShares® (exchange-traded funds), and other pooled investment vehicles. BlackRock also offers risk management, advisory and enterprise investment system services to a broad base of institutional investors through BlackRock Solutions®. As of December 31, 2016, the firm had approximately 13,000 employees in more than 30 countries and a major presence in global markets, including North and South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and the Middle East and Africa. For additional information, please visit the Company’s website at
BlackRock is one of the world’s preeminent asset management firms and a premier provider of global investment management, risk management and advisory services to institutional, intermediary and individual investors around the world. BlackRock offers a range of solutions — from rigorous fundamental and quantitative active management approaches aimed at maximizing outperformance to highly efficient indexing strategies designed to gain broad exposure to the world’s capital markets. Our clients can access our investment solutions through a variety of product structures, including individual and institutional separate accounts, mutual funds and other pooled investment vehicles, and the industry-leading iShares® ETFs.
Business Unit Overview:
The Financial Modeling Group (FMG) is responsible for the research and development of financial models underpinning the risk management and relative value analytics produced at BlackRock. The group also contributes to the infrastructure platform for the production of analytics and the delivery of analytic content to portfolio and risk management professionals both within and outside BlackRock. Given the diversity of business objectives among BlackRock Solutions' clients and within BlackRock itself the models developed and supported by the Financial Modeling Group span a wide array of financial products, ranging from equity to fixed income to derivatives. In addition, members of FMG seek to provide analysis and insight on many different levels from analysis of the cash flows of a single bond to the overall financial risk associated with an entire portfolio, enterprise or balance sheet.
FMG is looking for multiple quant researchers. The researchers’ primary job responsibilities is to develop methodologies, models and analytics to help portfolio and risk managers to better conduct valuation or manage risks at both security level and portfolio level:
- Doing empirical research and calibrating statistical models of market, credit and liquidity risk across asset classes at portfolio level or of mortgages, consumer loans, structure products and alternative investments at security level
- Methodologies will leverage techniques from statistics, data sciences, machine learning and financial econometrics
- Back testing, documentation and validation of empirical models
- Writing papers for publication, presenting original research at industry conferences, and speaking with institutional clients about relevant research
- Communicate with internal and external clients on model factors, forecasts, performance, strength and weakness, and risk/valuation implications.
Additional job responsibilities include working with portfolio management teams on bespoke projects supporting their investment processes; working with financial advisory teams on modeling projects for bespoke products or client whole loan portfolios.
Skills & Qualifications:
- PhD in Economics, Finance, Statistics or closely related quantitative disciplines
- Demonstrated ability to conduct high quality empirical research and work with large data
- Strong background in financial econometrics and empirical finance
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work well in a team environment
- Prior experience with statistical software (e.g. R, SAS, S-PLUS, MATLAB) and strong background in programming
- Exposure to PERL, Python, C++, or SQL
- Prior work experience in financial modeling (e.g. risk models, analytics, mortgage prepayment or credit) is a strong plus
- BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
- External Application Link