JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2017 - January 31, 2018
Center for Global Development
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Washington, District of Columbia, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: F -- International Economics
Full Text of JOE Listing:
The Center for Global Development, an independent, non-partisan research organization in Washington, DC, seeks a Research Fellow to undertake independent research related to one or more CGD research initiatives such as global health, aid effectiveness, migration and development, finance and investment, corruption and transparency, or international financial institutions. Those with experience or strong interest in migration economics are especially encouraged to apply, but this search is not limited to that area. Research Fellows range from immediate post-graduates to individuals with five plus years of experience.
A Research Fellow’s principal responsibilities generally include:
• Defining, developing, and undertaking creative, policy-oriented research
• Publishing journal articles, working papers, books, policy briefs, blogs, and short commentaries targeted to policy makers, academics, and the general public
• Tracking policy developments in relevant areas and serving as CGD spokesperson in those areas
• Engaging in related policy outreach activities and speaking engagements
• Participating in the design of expert group consultations and working groups
• Supervising and providing mentorship for a research assistant
• Participating in in-house research reviews
• Participating in the preparation of foundation and other types of grant proposals
A Research Fellow is expected to have the following qualifications:
• A doctoral degree in economics or a related discipline
• At least 3-5 years of relevant experience in a research environment or in an institutional setting or policy organization
• A record of applying quantitative research methods to real-world problems to identify practical and action-oriented solutions
• Demonstrated ability to take a project to completion
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work independently within a small, closely-knit organization and to contribute to the development of new initiatives
• Experience, or strong interest, in migration from the economic perspective a plus
• In-country development experience and/or experience in an operational development organization a plus
• Interested candidates should forward their CV, along with a research paper, to jobs@ . Please use "Research Fellow" in the subject line of email correspondence.
CGD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age or sexual orientation shall have equal access to positions, limited only by their ability to do the job.
- Application Instructions Below
Interested candidates should forward their CV, along with a research paper, to jobs@. Please use "Research Fellow" in the subject line of email correspondence.