JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2016 - July 31, 2016
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: New York, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: Q -- Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics
Emerging Infectious Diseases
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Job Title: Environmental Economics Post Doc or Recent Graduate
EcoHealth Alliance seeks an organized, self-motivated Post Doc or recent graduate for our economics and disease emergence programs. The successful candidate would be expected to liaise closely with EcoHealth Alliance scientists to evaluate the economic damages associated with emerging pandemics, and the costs of controlling and preventing them. This work follows on from recent publications (e.g. Pike et al., PNAS 2014) and will focus on the linkages among wildlife trade, land-use change, and pandemic risk. Responsibilities of the Economics Post Doc or recent graduate will include performing statistical analyses on large datasets, data mining and literature reviews, costing of disease impacts and control programs, and designing and running simulations of theoretical models that integrate economics and ecology. The candidate must be self-motivated and proactive in seeking to collaborate on current projects and designing new research projects that fit with the mission and direction of EcoHealth Alliance.
Description and Responsibilities
Reporting to the President this position will:
• Mine relevant economic, qualitative, or other sources including grey literature and field observations to construct unique data sets for analysis.
• Provide modeling and analytical support for EcoHealth Alliance programs
• Develop quantitative scientific information regarding trends and changes in landuse and wildlife trade that lead to disease emergence.
• Design surveys to explore the economic and other drivers of disease emergence
• Become familiar with and keep up-to-date on the relevant scientific and/or policy literature and to synthesize and disseminate that information for EcoHealth Alliance and other scientists, as well as collaborators, and the general public.
• Provide detailed background for relevant projects.
• Participate with manuscript writing for publication in peer-reviewed journals and reports for general audiences.
• Have responsibility for some grant management (including writing, proposal preparation, and reporting) and program coordination.
• Use independent judgment and scientific expertise to plan and prioritize an ambitious workload and set day-to-day priorities for meeting project goals and deadlines.
• Participate in scientific conferences and working groups.
• Be fully responsibility for relevant work planning, data gathering, creating data sharing agreements, and analyses.
• Candidate should be a Post-Doc or recent graduate.
• Degree in disease ecology, epidemiology, public health, or a related field.
• Must have experience and familiarity with general economic principles.
• Demonstrated excellence in scientific data analyses and in oral and written communication of scientific concepts to both technical and general audiences.
• An understanding of life sciences and emerging diseases.
• A track record of peer-reviewed publications.
• Intellectual agility and comfort with working across disciplines and learning new skills.
• Ability to work independently, manage time efficiently, and collaborate effectively with diverse colleagues in a fast-paced environment.
• Interest in interpreting research findings for policy applications.
• Experience in presenting at scientific conferences.
• A passion for the environmental, a commitment to rigorous analysis, creativity (and a dose of pragmatism) in the real-world application of scientific theory to practice, and knowledge of relevant environmental and economic policy issues.
• Willingness to travel if needed for the position.
• Skill with using Microsoft Office, EndNote, and open source statistical software, preferably R.
The position is based at EcoHealth Alliance’s headquarters in New York City. EcoHealth Alliance is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefit package including health, dental, and vision coverage, and a 403(b) pension plan. For further information about EcoHealth Alliance, please visit our website:
- Application Instructions Below
Send an email a single attachment labeled with your first and last name only (“first in PDF format containing with (a) a cover letter, (b) CV, and (c) three references to jobs@ with "ENVIRONMENTAL ECONOMIC POST DOC OR RECENT GRAD 2016" in the subject line. Emails without the subject line or with multiple attachments will not be received. No formal text is required within the body of your email, since emails will not be evaluated. Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EcoHealth Alliance is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly only if selected as a candidate.
Thank you for your interest in EcoHealth Alliance!