JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2016 - July 31, 2016
National Rice Company
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Greenbrae, California, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: 00 -- Default: Any Field
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Working in conjunction with company management, the Rice Market Economist examines and interprets commodity market trends to determine implications for rice buyers. Economist applies cross-sectional and time-series econometrics and economic modeling to rice and related commodity markets in order to conduct in-depth analysis, examine domestic and world rice market dynamics, develop forecasts, and generate market intelligence.
• Acquire and maintain knowledge of all domestic and global aspects of rice market, including weather; competition among domestic crops; government policy effects on farmer decisions; major foreign competitor actions and policies; TPP and TTIP consequences on US competitiveness; and major consumer actions and policies.
• Work closely with company owner to learn industry and share information on frequent basis.
• Examine relationships among and between the futures and cash markets; competing agricultural commodity markets; rice varieties; and global and domestic price and stock trends.
• Forecast rice market variables (such as cost of production, acreage, yields, production, stocks, demand and prices) and probabilities, using one-step ahead, dynamic, and probabilistic forecasting.
• Augment and publish periodic market reports for customer base and company staff.
• Prepare a variety of written reports, including a quarterly newsletter, communicating findings, forecasts, and recommendations for existing and prospective customers.
• Follow market, government and academic data sources. Enter weekly data from company contracts and industry sources into spreadsheets to maintain and create charts, graphs and tables.
• Prepare PowerPoint presentations for management. Work as a team with other company professionals on production of materials.
• Develop relationships with other industry experts to facilitate information sharing.
• Respond to customers’ inquiries and data requests on an as needed basis.
• Infrequent travel to industry conferences and client meetings.
• Advanced degree in Agricultural Economics
• Proficient in Excel and PowerPoint; R, STATA, SAS and/or Matlab
• Knowledge of cross-sectional and times-series econometrics
• Excellent written communication and presentation skills
• Ability to prioritize and simultaneously manage multiple projects
• High degree of self-motivation—ability to think and work independently
• Working knowledge of typesetting and publishing for economic reports, using LaTex or Word
• Ability to present findings in a clear and concise manner to diverse audiences
• Ease of communicating with a variety of individuals within the industry
• Time management and forethought of schedules and deadlines
Offering competitive compensation, full benefits, including Health, Dental, Vision, HSA, Life, LTC, LTD, and Profit Sharing.
- Application Instructions Below
- Letters of Reference Instructions Below