JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2016 - July 31, 2016
Position Title/Short Description
Section: International: Other Academic (Visiting or Temporary)
Location: Tokyo, Tokyo, JAPAN
JEL Classification: 00 -- Default: Any Field
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Musashi University, Tokyo, Japan invites applications for a non-tenure-track position in economics beginning September 1, 2016. The appointment is for a fixed term of three years but may be renewed for a further one or two years, depending on teaching performance. The position requires the individual to teach in English undergraduate courses. Candidates who have a Ph.D. or expect completion by August 2016 are preferred. Candidates from all fields of economics will be considered and those with teaching experience and a good research record/potential are highly encouraged to apply.
For more details about the position, please see:
About Musashi University
Conveniently located in a quiet, residential area near the heart of Tokyo, Musashi University is a small but selective university offering academic programs in economics, humanities, and sociology. In its intimate campus environment, Musashi University has a total enrollment of more than 4,000 students and 110 full-time faculty members.
For more details about the university, please see .
About University of London International Programmes
Musashi University is the first Japanese university to offer International Foundational Programme (IFP) and International Programme (IP) of University of London (UoL). Successful students in this parallel degree program will gain a BSc degree in Economics and Management from UoL and a BSc degree in Economics from Musashi University. Instructors at Musashi teach IFP and IP courses in English, with academic direction from the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE).
For more details about the UoL IFP and IP, please see and .
- Teaching: The candidate is responsible to teach courses corresponding to 10 course credits (teaching load is equivalent to 2.5 courses in the U.S.) per semester, including (but not limited to) the following University of London (UoL) International Programmes course units:
Introduction to economics (EC1002) - (4 course credits)
Mathematics 1 (MT105a, half course) & Statistics 1 (ST104a, half course) - (4 course credits).
- Research: Conduct research on own initiative. The university provides basic research facilities, e.g. work office and library access, as well as generous research fund (JPY 400,000 per year).
- Service: The successful candidate is encouraged to contribute to the UoL/Musashi parallel degree program related service work. The candidate is also expected to participate in administration and development activities, as well as other teaching related general services, however, to a limited extent.
- Application Instructions Below
1. Cover letter.
2. Curriculum vita.
3. Reprint or photocopy of a research paper.
4. List of three referees (names, positions/titles, and email addresses). Emails will be sent to your referees requesting confidential letters, when needed.
Any questions concerning this application should be directed to:
General Affairs Section,
1-26-1, Toyotama-kami, Nerima-ku, Tokyo 176-8534
Equal employment opportunity: Candidates will be judged on their qualifications and not on their sex or nationality.