JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2015 - January 31, 2016
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Position Title/Short Description
Section: US: Other Academic (Visiting or Temporary)
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: I -- Health, Education, and Welfare
Full Text of JOE Listing:
We will host two postdoctoral fellowships for up to two years to be based at MIT under the supervision of School Effectiveness and Inequality Initiative (SEII) Directors and MIT faculty members Josh Angrist, David Autor, and Parag Pathak.
Examples of past and on-going SEII research projects can be found at seii.mit.edu.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Conduct research related to student assignment, causal effects of school reform, and income inequality.
• By the end of the fellowship, fellows should complete at least one scientific paper suitable for submission to peer-reviewed journals.
• SEII Directors will guide fellows’ applied econometric research.
• SEII offers the opportunity to work with confidential restricted-use data from schools and districts around the country
• Undergo formal methodological training through coursework at MIT.
• Participate in seminars and workshops at MIT and elsewhere in Cambridge, MA.
• Present research to 1-2 academic audiences annually.
• Present relevant research to state and district policy partners. Current partners are the Boston Public Schools, Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, Recovery School District (New Orleans), NYC Department of Education, Denver Public Schools, and Chicago Public Schools.
Qualifications & Skills
• Demonstrated interest in education policy and income inequality
• Expected to complete Ph.D. by fall 2016 in quantitative field
• Expertise in Stata
Applicants should submit the following:
* Curriculum Vitae
* Letters of reference
* A brief description of current research plans and projects and a completed research paper
* Summary of research projects to be pursued during the Fellowship
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. Please contact Annice Correia Gabel at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Cover Letter
- Letters of Reference
- Research Papers
- Job Market Paper