JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2015 - January 31, 2016
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Menlo Park, California, UNITED STATES
D4 -- Market Structure, Pricing, and Design
C1 -- Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
L1 -- Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
C9 -- Design of Experiments
Z3 -- Tourism Economics
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Facebook is seeking exceptional researchers to join our economic research group in the Core Data Science team. Our group conducts research in the areas of pricing, forecasting, experimentation, behavioral economics, market design, networks, operations, and advertising, and builds models of the economics of Facebook's business and the behavior of the people and advertisers who use our site. The ideal candidate will have a track record of outstanding empirical research. A background in econometrics, industrial organization, behavioral economics, applied microeconomics, or related fields is advantageous but, more importantly, the candidate should have the ability to solve difficult empirical problems of a more general nature.
* Work cross-functionally across the company, especially with the Newsfeed, finance, and advertising teams, to solve the largest problems facing the business through research, analysis, and innovation.
* Answer complex business questions by applying appropriate statistical techniques to available data or new data collected through experiments and surveys.
* Answer policy questions and estimate counterfactuals using simulation and modeling.
* Work with engineering and product teams to develop new algorithms and products related to pricing, forecasting, ranking, and marketplaces.
* Communicate findings to managers and engineers, often through technical reports.
* Draw upon research findings and expertise to determine company strategy and policy.
* Build processes for the collection, visualization, and general use of economic data.
* Ph.D. in a relevant technical field.
* Strong applied research record or project portfolio.
* Ability to communicate and visualize complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner.
* Strong statistics background including fluency with analysis tools such as R, Matlab, or Stata.
* Comfort with the command line and with Unix core tools.
* Preferred: adeptness with a scripting language such as Python, or previous software engineering experience.
- Letters of Reference
- Job Market Paper
- Cover Letter