JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2015 - January 31, 2016
University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Position Title/Short Description
Section: International:Full-Time Academic (Permanent, Tenure Track or Tenured)
Location: Groningen, NETHERLANDS
D -- Microeconomics
E -- Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics
G -- Financial Economics
Full Text of JOE Listing:
The Department of Economics, Econometrics & Finance is an active and international research group, consisting of approximately 60 people. Members are working both in fundamental theoretical research as well as in applied research. Central research themes are among others (applied) econometrics, banking, aging and pensions, microfinance, behavioral and experimental economics and industrial organisation. Approximately 20% of the department members is non-Dutch, support staff is used to communicating in English. More than 80% of the PhD students are non-Dutch. Members of the department have published in a wide range of top journals, such as American Economic Review, Economic Journal, Journal of Financial Economics, Macroeconomic Dynamics, RAND Journal of Economics, Review of Economics and Statistics, and Review of Financial Studies.
The department is responsible for central courses in two bachelor programs(Economics and Business Economics, and Econometrics and Operations Research). In addition, the department is directly involved in the MSc programs in Economics, Finance, and the program in Econometrics, Operations Research and Actuarial Science. The department also participates in the selective honours program for BSc students, and the 2-years research master program.
Currently the department has three vacant tenure track positions:
• monetary macroeconomics (preferably with strong quantitative skills; expertise in stochastic general equilibrium models and numerical implementation methods; econometric orientation)
• microeconomics (the candidate has excellent research skills in one of the following fields: experimental and behavioral economics or applied industrial organization; preference will be given to applicants with experience in conducting lab or field experiments and/or in analyzing field data using modern microeconometric techniques)
• finance (preferably specialization in corporate finance and/ or asset pricing, but also candidates interested in closely related areas, like corporate governance, banking and finance, and finance and development can apply).
To qualify candidates should have:
• PhD in Finance, Economics, Econometrics, or Quantitative Economics
• expertise in the relevant field, demonstrated by evidence of the ability (or the potential) to publish in the top-tier or very good international academic peer-reviewed journals
• proven interest and ability in developing courses and teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level and in mentoring students
• international network
• organizational qualities and excellent communication skills
• the potential to generate external funding for research projects.
Conditions of employment
The University of Groningen offers a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from a minimum of € 3,324 gross per month to a maximum of € 5,171 gross per month for a full time position, excluding 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees.
Candidates will be appointed for a period of six years, on condition of a positive mid-term evaluation in the third year of employment. On the basis of a positive final evaluation in the sixth year of employment, candidates will be granted tenure.
We expect candidates to start by August 2016.
You may apply for this position until 30 November / before 1 December 2015 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
You are requested to submit:
1. A motivation letter
2. A complete curriculum vitae
3. Three letters of recommendation
4. One self-selected “best paper”
5. A short statement of your research accomplishments and future research goals
6. A five keywords description of your research area
7. And indicate whether you will be available for interviewing at the ASSA meeting (2-4 januari 2016).
We will interview at the ASSA meetings in San Francisco.
For information you can contact:
• Prof. Ruud Koning, Head of the department, r.h.koning@
- External Application Link
- Letters of Reference Instructions Below