JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2015 - January 31, 2016
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Seattle, Washington, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: 00 -- Default: Any Field
time series econometrics
Full Text of JOE Listing:
strives to be Earth's most customer-centric company where people can find and discover anything they want to buy online. We hire the world's brightest minds, offering them a fast paced, technologically sophisticated and friendly work environment.
Economists at Amazon have the opportunity to partner with senior economists at Amazon including chief economist Pat Bajari. You will also engage with senior management on key business problems faced in retail, international retail, cloud computing, third party merchants, search, Kindle, streaming video, and operations. Amazon economists will apply the frontier of economic thinking to market design, pricing, forecasting, program evaluation, online advertising and other areas. You will build econometric models using our world class data systems in order to solve business problems in a fast moving environment. Economists at Amazon will be expected to develop new techniques to process large data sets, address quantitative problems, and contribute to design of automated systems around the company. The economics community at Amazon has grown tremendously in the past few years and we are recruiting for roles company-wide to satisfy demand for high caliber economists.
Senior economists at Amazon are expected to be self-directed and to come prepared to drive analysis shortly after arrival at Amazon. This entails owning model development, deployment and driving adoption of our approaches among internal customers. Senior economists should also be capable of conducting both written and oral executive level presentations. For these reasons, for senior roles we are strictly considering candidate with four or more years of post-PhD work experience in academia, consulting, government, or tech. Qualified economists with less than four years of post-PhD work experience are enthusiastically encouraged to apply to our other postings.
Salaries will be competitive and will include equity compensation.
Please forward a cover letter, curriculum vita, research sample and letters of recommendation/references to economist-joe-2015@ . In your cover letter, please also indicate your preferred start date. We will consider candidates with start dates as early as October 2015.
We recruit on a rolling basis and Amazon will be at the AEA/ASSA conference in San Francisco but will certainly consider candidates prior to the January 2016 conference.
Please visit to learn more!
• PhD in Economics
• Four or more years of post-PhD experience in private sector, consulting, government, or in academic research. For economists with less than 4 years of post-PhD work experience, please apply to our other postings.
• Strong background in econometrics (e.g., program evaluation, forecasting, time series, panel data, and/or high dimensional problems), economic theory, and quantitative methods
• Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment
• Strong applied research track record in industrial organization, applied econometrics, labor economics, development economics, public economics, applied macroeconomics, quantitative marketing, or a related field
• Hands on experience with at least one of the following: Matlab, R, SAS, Stata
• Experience with SQL and/or with languages such as Python, Java, C++, Ruby is a plus.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Experience preparing and delivering executive level presentations
• Prior people management experience
Amazon is an Equal-Opportunity Employer
- Letters of Reference Instructions Below
- Application Instructions Below
Please forward a cover letter, curriculum vita with the file name as your name, research sample and letters of recommendation to:
In your cover letter, please also indicate your preferred start date. We will consider candidates with start dates as early as October 2015 and as late as August 2016.