JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2015 - July 31, 2015
Duke Kunshan University
Position Title/Short Description
Section: International:Full-Time Academic (Permanent, Tenure Track or Tenured)
Location: Kunshan, Jiangsu, CHINA
JEL Classification: Q -- Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Responsible for directing two new initiatives at DKU: the Environment Research Center that will provide inter-institutional research opportunities and the “international masters in environmental policy” targeted for launch in 2016. This further includes developing a strategy for research and education, recruiting and engaging faculty to work at DKU, and student recruitment.
Successful candidates will be recognized leaders in the field of environmental policy or in the field of environmental science with a clear policy focus, with a vision for the potential contributions of a successful DKU environment program. The director will be a Duke Kunshan University faculty member, with the potential for appropriate consideration for Duke University affiliation. Chinese language proficiency is not required. Candidates should have a PhD degree in public policy, political science, economics, environmental science or a related field, with a focus on environmental policy. The ideal candidate would have research interests related to China and its role in the region/world, and demonstrate, through background or training, an ability to collaborate with other disciplines. We are particularly interested in distinguished candidates whose research foci relate to the areas of energy, the urban environment, climate, environmental health, conservation, and air or water quality. Candidates should have interest in facilitating collaboration with other research centers at DKU and research programs at Duke University, and strong administrative experience, such as that gained in chairing a department or directing a research center or institute.
It is anticipated that the initial appointment of a renewable 3-year term will begin on or after July 1, 2015.
• Developing and directing research programs at DKU to build a flexible, interdisciplinary program supporting both social and natural science research related to environmental policy.
• Recruitment and supervision of assistant director and research faculty to support the programs of the research center.
• Leadership for fundraising and grant writing for the center
• Overseeing the development of a new international masters in environmental policy program for DKU and student recruitment
• Recruitment and supervision of teaching faculty at DKU
• Interfacing with academic/research, government, private sector, and media entities in China
• Coordination and communication with environment and public policy programs at Duke University both to facilitate a strong and productive relationship among faculty and students across campuses, and to ensure curriculum rigor and consistency among programs.
• Maintenance of a strong research agenda.
• Participation in the development of faculty governance procedures at DKU.
- Application Instructions Below