JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2015 - July 31, 2015
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: 00 -- Default: Any Field
Full Text of JOE Listing:
strives to be Earth's most customer-centric company where people can find and discover anything they want to buy online. We hire the world's brightest minds, offering them a fast paced, technologically sophisticated and friendly work environment.
Economists at Amazon will be expected to work directly with the chief economist Pat Bajari and senior management on key business problems faced in retail, international retail, cloud computing, third party merchants, search, Kindle, streaming video, and operations. Amazon economists will apply the frontier of economic thinking to market design, pricing, forecasting, program evaluation, online advertising and other areas. You will build econometric models, using our world class data systems, and apply economic theory to solve business problems in a fast moving environment. Economists at Amazon will be expected to develop new techniques to process large data sets, address quantitative problems, and contribute to design of automated systems around the company. We are hiring for roles in the Central Economics Team (reporting to Amazon Chief Economist, Pat Bajari) as well as roles in other economics and quantitative analytics teams throughout the company.
Senior Economists at Amazon are expected to come prepared to drive analysis shortly after arrival at Amazon. This entails owning model development, deployment and driving adoption of our approaches among internal customers.
Salaries will be competitive and will include equity compensation.
Please forward a cover letter, curriculum vita, research sample and letters of recommendation to economist-careers@ . In your cover letter, please also indicate your preferred start date. We will consider candidates with start dates as early as March 2015 and on a rolling basis thereafter.
• PhD in Economics
• Four or more years of post-PhD experience in private sector, consulting, government, or in academic research
• Strong background in econometrics (e.g., program evaluation, forecasting, time series, panel data, and/or high dimensional problems), economic theory, and quantitative methods
• Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment
• Strong applied research track record in industrial organization, applied econometrics, labor economics, development economics, public economics, applied macroeconomics, quantitative marketing, or a related field
• Hands on experience with at least one of the following: Matlab, R, SAS, Stata
• Experience with SQL and/or with languages such as Python, Java, C++, Ruby is a plus.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Experience preparing and delivering executive level presentations
• Prior people management experience
Amazon is an Equal-Opportunity Employer
- Application Instructions Below
- Letters of Reference Instructions Below
In your cover letter, please also indicate your preferred start date. We will consider candidates with start dates as early as March 2015 and as late as August 2015.