JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2014 - January 31, 2015
U.S. Small Business Administration
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Locations: District of Columbia, UNITED STATES
District of Columbia, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: 00 -- Default: Any Field
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Research Economist Opportunity at the SBA Office of Advocacy's Office of Economic Research
The Office of Economic Research (OER) within the Office of Advocacy (Advocacy) of the U.S. Small Business Administration is staffed by professional economists and research analysts. These staff conduct research documenting the importance of small businesses to the United States economy, assess economic and policy issues of relevance to small firms and their owners, and provide economic analysis of proposed federal regulations.
The office is currently looking for a Research Economist. Applicants with Doctorate or Masters degrees in Economics are encouraged to apply.
All interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to Natalyn Tart at . Please indicate in the subject line of your email which economist position you are interested in.
Responsibilities of the Research Economist include:
• Communicating authoritative analyses to the Chief Counsel for Advocacy and/or outside constituents on economic issues salient to small businesses.
• Conducting research, creating research topics for, and/or coordinating the work of contractors as the contracting officer's representative on projects involving economic and/or federal regulatory analysis.
• Creating Advocacy economic research products such as research reports, research summaries, data tabulations, fact sheets, talking points, briefing papers, and presentations in the form of briefings, testimony, speeches, conferences, etc.
• Suggesting, proposing, exploring, and completing their own research topics as they relate to small businesses and the economy.
Skills for an OER Research Economist include:
• Strong analytical, research, and methodological skills.
• Strong understanding of economic concepts and their application to policy.
• Ability to obtain, analyze, and interpret diverse information from complex data sources.
• Experience with statistical and presentation software including STATA, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Ability to complete quick-turnaround assignments in a dynamic work environment.
- Application Instructions Below