JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2014 - January 31, 2015
American Institutes for Research
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Washington, District of Columbia, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: I -- Health, Education, and Welfare
Full Text of JOE Listing:
The American Institutes for Research is a leading education research company providing education research and evaluation, assessment, technical assistance and policy analysis at all levels of education both domestically and internationally. We apply rigorous science methods to address real world issues on behalf of clients that include federal and state agencies, international development agencies, leading foundations, school districts and private businesses and, international development agencies. AIR’s experts are a frequent source of information and guidance for policymakers, clients and the news media.
We are seeking an Economist/Researcher for our Washington, DC, Chicago, IL or San Mateo, CA office.
The Economist/ Researcher will work on projects with responsibilities that include:
• Developing research designs for project work
• Applying appropriate techniques to collect, analyze and report quantitative data
• Preparing technical documents reporting results and presenting results to clients
• Preparing journal articles and presenting work at conferences
• Leading projects and tasks, with assumption of greater responsibility over time
• Assisting in developing and drafting new business proposals
• Mentoring research analysts, sharing approaches to solving problems, and providing feedback on the work of others
A Ph.D. in economics, public policy, or related social science field, with expertise in econometrics or applied statistics. Able to apply advanced statistical methods, and able to communicate effectively about these methods to non-technical audiences. Highly proficient in statistical software such as STATA, R, or SAS and open to learning new statistical tools as required by different projects. Knowledge or experience with the analysis of large-scale databases, and the design of experiments and quasi-experiments, and prior quantitative research on policy-relevant topics using quantitative methods appreciated.
- External Application Link