JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2014 - January 31, 2015
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Seattle, Washington, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: O3 -- Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Do you love answering economic questions and telling stories using data? Do you have a knack for turning data into compelling insights? Are you ready to enter a fast-paced research environment where your work will be read and used by consumers, academics, other analysts, and policy makers across the country? Have you ever wondered why there isn't a higher correlation between the occurrence of econometric analysis, creativity, and excellent writing skills in a single job description, but you feel that you were born to satisfy such a call if it were made?
If so, then Zillow has a job for you. Be part of an analytics team helping to bring innovation, creativity and excellence to the national discussion about how we live. You'll work in an informal, fun, collaborative atmosphere with a team of strong, smart, self-starters like yourself with terabytes of data at your fingertips.
In this role, you'll conduct research and analysis of real estate market conditions, evolving demographic phenomena, and past and future market patterns and trends. Projects will include both periodic market reports of various types as well as specific deep dives on topics of interest to you and Zillow customers. Results will be used in blogs, press releases, and web-published reports and data products. Most projects will involve some combination of econometric analysis, data exploration, data visualization, and insightful and clear writing. It's a broad and deep set of skills that we're searching for in a single person, but we're certain that there's at least one of you out there.
* A graduate degree in economics or other highly quantitative field. Ph.D. strongly preferred.
* Knowledge of econometrics and multivariate statistics and demonstrated research ability applying these skills.
* Experience with R statistical software or similar coding language (e.g., Matlab, Stata, GAUSS, SAS).
* Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
* Experience with data access and manipulation tools such as SQL.
* Thorough knowledge of the presentation and manipulation of data in MS Excel.
* Experience with data visualization toolkits or programming languages like Flare or Processing is a plus.
* Experience with Tableau visualization software is a plus.
* Detail-oriented, analytical, and accurate.
* Strong project management skills.
* Insatiable intellectual curiosity.
- External Application Link