JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2014 - January 31, 2015
The Morning Star Company
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Sacramento, California, UNITED STATES
L1 -- Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
D4 -- Market Structure and Pricing
Full Text of JOE Listing:
The Morning Star Company, and its affiliates, operate three tomato processing facilities in Central California, processing 25% to 30% of the California crop, plus tomato transplanting, farming, harvesting and trucking operations. Employment is approximately 350 year-round and over 2,000 seasonal colleagues with annual sales exceeding $750 million. The company is known worldwide for its innovation and integrity.
We are organizationally structured through a system we term Self-Management (please see . Our company is operated by colleagues without titles or an appointed hierarchy of authority. Authority relative to other colleagues' activities is lateral, with each colleague's Mission as their guiding principle of action, and respect, influence and success having to be built based on each colleague's competency, integrity, effort, persistence and straight-forward persuasiveness. As we continue to grow, we intend to maintain a culture of individual responsibility and self-management.
Apply economic theory and quantitative skills to perform in-depth industry analysis to identify new business opportunities.
1. Gather, maintain and analyze data from disparate sources on industries of interest, including the details and dynamics of production, consumption and competitiveness
2. Estimate and maintain robust models projecting industry pricing, production, consumption and profitability for our current industry as well as others.
3. Model the economics of industry businesses to understand their drivers of profitability, and their sensitivity to changes in those driving factors.
4. Make investment recommendations to company stakeholders based on sound reasoning and data analysis.
5. Present research findings in written reports and live presentations as appropriate.
6. Assist colleagues with statistical questions and analysis, including experimental design, hypothesis testing, and process modeling.
7. Prioritize multiple demands and produce results in a timely fashion to keep pace with our growing, dynamic business.
1. Advanced capabilities in Economics, Business, Engineering or Statistics including a demonstrable ability in quantitative analysis and a solid foundation in microeconomics.
2. Some experience in Industrial Economics is desirable.
3. A proven track record of producing research results in a timely manner.
4. Excellent writing and verbal skills, including rhetoric and argumentation.
5. Expertise using Microsoft Excel and Word.
- External Application Link
- Letters of Reference Instructions Below