AEA Washington Representative - Scope of Work
The American Economic Association will engage the services of a part-time person to represent the Association in Washington. This person will perform the following services, in accordance with the general direction provided by the AEA Executive Committee and in direct consultation with the AEA Committee on Government Relations and the AEA Committee on Economic Statistics. Duties and responsibilities of this individual will include the following:
- Organize, prioritize, and facilitate discussions for conference calls with the AEA Committee on Government Relations and the AEA Committee on Economic Statistics, to be scheduled every three to four weeks.
- Attend the annual meeting of the Allied Social Sciences Association each January to coordinate the Committees’ activities there.
- Provide an annual written report, in conjunction with the Committee chairs, on government relations and statistical activities to the AEA Executive Committee.
- Track published information about legislation, regulations and agency decisions pertinent to the scientific interests of the AEA.
- Develop contacts with officials and staff members in the Congress and the Executive Branch, staff members of other professional associations, the Washington representatives employed by research universities, and other individuals who may be sources of relevant information about legislative, regulatory and other developments.
- Through a regular e-newsletter, broadcast emails, preparation of materials to be posted to the AEA website and other means, provide interested AEA members with timely information about legislation, regulations and agency decisions that may be pertinent to their scientific interests and with general information about how members who wish to do so may contact the relevant decision-makers.
- Work closely with other professional groups and coalitions whose interests overlap with those of the AEA.
- At the direction of the Committee on Government Relations, draft briefing materials for congressional meetings, including briefing memos for AEA participants and fact sheets and one-pagers for congressional staff, Members of Congress and Executive Branch officials.
- At the direction of the Committee on Government Relations, organize briefings for congressional staff.
- As appropriate, schedule and participate in courtesy visits and meetings of delegations of AEA members with congressional staff, members of Congress, and Executive Branch officials.
- As appropriate, respond to press inquiries.
See the JOE listing at https://www.aeaweb.org/joe/listing.php?JOE_ID=2021-02_111468244.