0 votes
asked ago by (56.3k points)
Sept 15 -- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) invites comments by November 14, 2023 regarding the proposed revision of the National Substance Use and Mental Health Services Survey (N–SUMHSS).

Under section 505 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 290aa–4), SAMHSA is required to conduct annual collection of data on substance use and mental health. Selected information collected from the N–SUMHSS is also published on SAMHSA's FindTreatment.gov for persons seeking treatment for mental and substance use disorders in the United States. FindTreatment.gov is authorized by the 21st Century Cures Act (Pub. L. 114–255, section 9006; 42 U.S.C. 290bb–36d).

In 2021, SAMHSA combined the National Survey of Substance Abuse Treatment Services (N–SSATS) and the National Mental Health Services Survey (N–MHSS) into the N–SUMHSS to reduce the burden on facilities offering both substance use and mental health services, optimize government resources to collect data, and enhance the quality of data collected on the treatment facilities.

The N–SUMHSS is the most comprehensive national source of data on substance use and mental health treatment facilities. On an annual basis, the N–SUMHSS collects information on the facility location, characteristics, and utilization of substance use and mental health treatment services. The survey also collects client counts on individuals receiving services at these facilities. There is an increasing need to collect and maintain data on current and accurate numbers of clients in treatment at the local level for communities to assess capacity and estimate resource requirements. This information on substance use and mental health services has assisted with communities to better respond to life changing events, (i.e., hurricane) and plan for service demands in the event of a natural disaster (i.e., earthquakes).

SAMHSA also maintains the Inventory of Substance Use and Mental Health Treatment Facilities (I–TF) (previously known as the Inventory of Behavioral Health Services [I–BHS]). The I–TF is a master list of all known substance use and mental health treatment facilities in the United States. It also serves as the universe population for the N–SUMHSS.

SAMHSA is requesting OMB approval of revisions to the N–SUMHSS and I–TF related data collections, to include changes to the following instruments: . . . .  

N-SUMHSS: https://www.samhsa.gov/data/data-we-collect/n-sumhss-national-substance-use-and-mental-health-services-survey
FRN: https://www.federalregister.gov/d/2023-20005

Please log in or register to answer this question.