May 18 -- HHS extends the comment period until June 18, 2022. https://www.federalregister.gov/d/2022-10540
Apr 8 -- The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is issuing this Request for Information (RFI) to receive input from the public on HHS' draft outline to further the development of the 2022 Environmental Justice Strategy and Implementation Plan.
Consistent with the policy of this administration directing HHS to make achieving environmental justice part of its mission, HHS would like to identify priority actions and strategies to best address environmental injustices and health inequities for people of color, disadvantaged, vulnerable, low-income, marginalized, and indigenous populations. With the engagement of and input from the public, the 2022 Environmental Justice Strategy and Implementation Plan will serve as a guide to confront environmental and health disparities and implement a multifaceted approach that will serve vulnerable populations and communities disproportionately impacted by environmental burdens. To be assured consideration, comments must be received at the email address provided below, no later than midnight Eastern Time (ET) on May 19, 2022.
The 2022 HHS Environmental Justice Strategy and Implementation Plan will likely include six interrelated strategic elements that mirror the 2012 HHS Environmental Justice Strategy. The elements include two new strategic elements: (1) Partnerships and Community Engagement and (2) Performance Measures. The additional elements align to Executive Order 12898 to engage and partner with disadvantaged populations in building sustainable and healthy communities and creating performance measures to evaluate the process and the outcomes of activities that address adverse environmental conditions. The six proposed strategic elements are:
(2) Partnerships and Community Engagement
(3) Policy Development and Dissemination
(4) Research and Data Collection, Analysis, and Utilization
(5) Education and Training
(6) Performance Measures
For each strategic element, the 2022 HHS EJ Strategy will include priority actions to be undertaken by designated HHS Operating Divisions and Staff Divisions. [HHS offers 18 priority actions among the six strategic elements.]
HHS is requesting information from the public regarding the following questions:
Environmental Justice Core Principles
1. What Environmental Justice Core Principles should be included in the HHS EJ Strategy to advance environmental justice for disadvantaged communities?
2. How should HHS incorporate Environmental Justice Core Principles in the HHS EJ Strategy?
1. Do the Strategic Elements reflect relevant areas of environmental justice that address the needs of disadvantaged communities?
2. Are there additional Strategic Elements that should be included in the HHS EJ Strategy?
1. Do the Priority Actions capture the urgent, environmental justice issues of today?
2. If not, what additional Priority Actions should be included within the HHS EJ Strategy?
Research and Data Tools
1. What research methods, research questions, and data tools should HHS use to address environmental justice and social determinants of health?
1. What other strategies can be included within the 2022 HHS Environmental Justice Strategy and Implementation Plan to address environmental justice and health equity issues for disadvantaged populations?