+1 vote
asked ago in Job Market - Candidate Questions by (200 points)
I would like to know how people fare in academic job search if they don't belong to typical age group ( mid 20s - early 30s). Any suggestions to signal the employers in an efficient way that may mitigate the age effect?

1 Answer

+1 vote
answered ago by (3.3k points)
edited ago by
Make sure your research and all job market material suggest very strong and current computer  and technical skills. (this doesn't mean blasting social media... most mid 20-30 year old economists I know do not have/use Twitter.) Personal websites may be where most of that shows up. I suppose another aspect is using/indicating you know the trendy econometrics and data mining techniques. And to be clear I am not saying do these to blend in... your age might actually be a characteristic you can use to stand out. You can (implicitly) suggest you have maturity and experience. It at the very least will help you get remembered post interviews. I am just saying when I see a jm candidate who appears to be older I may immediately be concerned that they could be lacking technology and econometric skills. Best of luck!