Feb 1 -- USDOT is extending the public comment period until March 4, 2022. https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/02/01/2022-02011/transportation-research-and-development-strategic-plan-request-for-information-extension-of-comment
Dec 30 -- Office of the Assistant Secretary for Research and Technology (OST-R), U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), invites the public to provide comments to inform the development of DOT's Research, Development, and Technology (RD&T) Strategic Plan for fiscal years (FY) 2022-2026. We welcome the views of the transportation research community on DOT's research vision, strategic goals, and priorities, and how our research programs can advance the transportation system of the present and future. Please help us shape our research plans at this pivotal moment in the transformation of the nation's transportation system.
Comments are due by January 31, 2022. DOT will consider comments filed after this date to the extent practicable.
49 U.S.C. Section 6503 requires that the Secretary of Transportation develop a 5-year transportation research and development strategic plan to guide future Federal transportation research and development activities. The statute states that the strategic plan shall describe how the plan furthers the primary purpose of the transportation research and development program.
49 U.S.C. Chapter 65 outlines the following primary purposes of transportation research:
Improving mobility of people and goods
Improving the durability and extending the life of transportation infrastructure
Preserving the existing transportation system
Preserving the environment
Reducing transportation cybersecurity risks
DOT is updating its departmental strategic plan for FY 2022-2026 and released a Draft Strategic Framework in December 2021, which outlines the following six draft DOT Strategic Goals:
Economic strength and global competitiveness
Climate and sustainability
The Draft Strategic Framework can be accessed at https://www.transportation.gov/administrations/office-policy/fy2022-2026-strategic-framework
In order to align its research strategy and programs with the Department's goals, DOT is developing a new Research, Development, and Technology (RD&T) Strategic Plan for FY2022-2026. (This will replace the RD&T Strategic Plan for FY2018-2022.)
OST-R invites the public to provide comments to inform the development of the 5-year strategic plan for transportation RD&T. Comments should regard appropriate RD&T activities to meet the purposes and considerations listed above and/or emerging RD&T challenges, opportunities, and priorities that DOT RD&T should address over the next five years. In particular, comments may respond to any or all of the following questions:
1. How should DOT prioritize and invest in research activities over the next five years? Over the next 30 years?
2. What types of research activities should DOT undertake to meet its strategic goals?
3. What key social, demographic, economic, technological, and/or other trends influence transportation today and into the future?
4. What emerging challenges or opportunities or knowledge gaps in transportation warrant additional Federal RD&T activities or investments?
5. How can DOT best lead and coordinate its RD&T activities with Federal, State, local, tribal, private sector, non-profit institutions, and international partners?
6. What activities should DOT adopt to facilitate deployment of DOT research results into the U.S. transportation system?
7. Is there anything else you want to share or say regarding DOT's research portfolio and activities?
49 USC 6503 -- Transportation research and development 5-year strategic plan: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/6503
OST-R website: https://www.transportation.gov/administrations/assistant-secretary-research-and-technology/office-assistant-secretary-research-0
DOT Five-Year RD&T Strategic Plan (FY 2018-2022): https://www.transportation.gov/administrations/assistant-secretary-research-and-technology/dot-five-year-rdt-strategic-plan
FR notice seeking comments on FY2022-2026 RD&T Strategic Plan: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2021/12/30/2021-28283/transportation-research-and-development-strategic-plan-request-for-information