AER File Preparation and Submission
Instructions for Preparation and Sending in of Accepted Manuscripts
- Final Manuscript PDF
- Final Paper Native File
- Web Materials
- Copyright Transfer Agreement Form(s)
Final Manuscript PDF
The PDF should include everything for the print publication, including your reference list, tables and figures in their approximate location, and appendices. Alternatively, you may indicate the approximate location of tables and figures within the text and place tables and figures at the end of the PDF. DO NOT include anything in this PDF that is for the Web only. See below for instructions on how to prepare materials for the Web.
Your final manuscript should adhere to the Formatting and Style Guidelines. We encourage the use of AEA templates in preparing manuscripts for submission in LaTeX, Scientific Word, and Word. Authors not using templates are required to use the following format:
- 1.5 line spacing;
- 12-point Times New Roman font;
- 1.5-inch side, top, and bottom margin.
Please also ensure that the file is not encrypted.
Final Paper Native File
The native file of your final paper can be in the following formats: Scientific Word, LaTeX, Word (.doc, .docx).
- Disclosure Statements: Individual Disclosure Statements in PDF format should be submitted for each author: Each statement should include the paper title and the author's name at the top. Statements should: (i) correspond with the funding sources acknowledged in the introductory footnote; (ii) acknowledge IRB approval (if applicable); and (iii) report any other potential conflict of interest. If you have nothing to disclose you are still required to supply a PDF statement formally making that claim. See the full Disclosure Statment Policy for details.
- Data Zip File and Readme File: A zip file containing your dataset and a readme file: See Data Availability Policy for more information;
- Additional Materials: Any additional materials to be posted online such as appendices and teaching materials (please label clearly as such).
E-mail the required files to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the journal name and manuscript number in the subject line of the e-mail.
Reminder: Be sure that you have included the Final PDF, Native File, and Web Materials.
- File Names: Please label your files before emailing them. Each file name should contain the manuscript number and clearly indicate if the file is a "manuscript," "data," "appendix," "figures," or "additional materials." Please use underscores instead of spaces when creating file names.
- Manuscript: Please send a PDF file of the latest version of your manuscript, along with the NATIVE FILE and any support files. Your Native File should be in Scientific Word, Word, or LaTeX.
- Figures: If applicable, please send EPS, PPT, AI, WMF, or PDF versions of your figures.
- Appendices: Online appendices must be sent in PDF format (for example, 20030002_appendix.pdf or 2002002_finalpaper.pdf).
- Grouping Files: It is preferable to send each "group" of files (if there is more than one file for data, figures, additional materials, etc.) as a .zip file (for example, 20030002_data.zip or 20030002_addmaterials.zip). All datasets must include a PDF "Read me" file (clearly labeled, for example, ReadMe.pdf) containing a list of all files included and guiding a user on the types of files and how to use them to do replication. The PDF "Read Me”"file should be included in the .zip file containing the dataset.
For datasets that are too large to send by e-mail, we make available the option of uploading large files to our FTP server. Please contact the AER for instructions on accessing the FTP server.