JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2022 - January 31, 2023
University of Pennsylvania
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, UNITED STATES
D -- Microeconomics
H -- Public Economics
I -- Health, Education, and Welfare
J -- Labor and Demographic Economics
L -- Industrial Organization
R -- Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics
Economics of education
Full Text of JOE Listing:
The Penn Wharton Budget Model (PWBM) is a non-partisan, research-based initiative that provides accurate and transparent economic analysis of public policy. As the honest broker operating at the intersection of public policy and innovative economics modeling, PWBM does not make policy recommendations. PWBM’s work is widely cited and has been influential in many key recent policy discussions, including tax reform, infrastructure, budget reconciliation, pre-K education, paid family leave, universal basic income, debt, Social Security, health care and many other areas.
PWBM has a staff opening for a new or experienced economist with a strong interest in conducting applied research, modeling, and analysis. We seek candidates with a background in applied econometrics and microeconomics, especially with interests in labor, public, education, and health economics, who can use current methods in econometrics, statistics, and machine learning to analyze large data sets in the context of theoretical models. PWBM economists apply their training and skills to assess the effects of policy on budgetary outcomes (government revenues and costs) and various economic variables. Staff economists are encouraged to publish their research findings in professional journals. A PhD in Economics or Statistics is required.
Staff positions at the Penn Wharton Budget Model are funded by external gifts and grants. This position is subject to future continuation of funding sources tied to your position. The position could be terminated if funding sources are discontinued and suitable replacement funding sources, as determined by the faculty director, are not available. This position is subject to renewal every three years at the discretion of the faculty director.
• Design and conduct empirical analyses. May involve creating, as well as using, various econometric modelling techniques to develop forecasts. May involve applying appropriate and cutting-edge econometric methods to estimate key economic relationships.
• Analyze data to test the effectiveness of current policies.
• Work with the team to create, update, extend, and calibrate large scale economic/financial models.
• Generate reports related to public policy in areas such as tax reform, immigration, education, and the environment.
• Oversee, direct, and train junior research staff.
• Engage with external stakeholders such as federal agencies and lawmakers
• A PhD in Economics and 2-3 years of relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, is required but ABD candidates expecting a doctorate in 2023 are encouraged to apply. We will also consider candidates with PhDs in statistics with an interest in public policy.
• Concentrations in applied econometrics and applied microeconomics such as labor, public, or health economics preferred.
• Passion for using data and analytical methods such as econometrics and machine learning to study policy issues.
• Experience performing econometric research using large and complex datasets.
• Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
• Ability to effectively work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Hybrid Eligible - This position is eligible for a hybrid work schedule with a work week divided between working onsite and working remotely.
- External Application URL and Instructions Below
- Letters of Reference Instructions Below