JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2022 - January 31, 2023
Georgia State University
Position Title/Short Description
Section: US: Full-Time Academic (Permanent, Tenure Track or Tenured)
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: 00 -- 00 - Default: Any Field
Full Text of JOE Listing:
The Andrew Young School of Policy Studies (AYS) at Georgia State University invites applications for a tenure track or tenured appointment in one of the academic disciplines at the associate or full professor rank to serve as the faculty lead for expanding programs in data analytics and open science across the college’s policy research centers and five academic units -- criminal justice and criminology, economics, public management and policy, social work, and urban studies. The new faculty member will direct the expansion of research and teaching using data science to harness the insights of massive and unstructured data to address social and economic problems facing the public sector. The successful candidate will have a track record of interdisciplinary research and a terminal degree in one of the five academic units noted above.
The position will carry a 20 percent teaching load (two courses per academic year in an area of data analytics, data ethics, open science, etc), 30 percent research/scholarship, and 50 percent service to AYS and GSU. A successful candidate will hold a tenured or tenure track appointment in one of the academic disciplines of AYS: Criminal Justice, Economics, Public Management and Policy, Social Work, or Urban Studies.
Consistent with AYS’ strategic initiative to prepare its graduates and partners for the opportunities and challenges that digital technologies create for public policy and policy evaluation from a practical and academic standpoint, a successful hire will:
• Direct the development of curricula to develop AYS’ undergraduate and graduate programs for policy science in the digital era, including but not limited to data ethics, machine learning, decision science, data analytics, and open science.
• Participate in a consortium of schools of public affairs and public policy to develop open educational resources for teaching data science (techniques and applications);
• Develop workshops for graduate students, faculty, and research staff on open science and research techniques needed to manage, analyze, and make decisions with large and unstructured data;
• Partner with research centers to develop training for public sector partners in data stewardship, data analytics, and decision-making with data;
• Collaborate with faculty on scholarship and research in the data analytics and open science policy domain;
• Serve as a senior liaison to other disciplines, including social science disciplines, across Georgia State University, to expand the teaching and scholarship of data analytics and open science across the social sciences;
• Serve as a point person for AYS and GSU activities related to membership as part of the Public Interest Technology-University Network (PIT-UN).
Applicants should send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and three reference letters. No paper applications will be accepted unless specifically solicited. This position is subject to budgetary approval. Complete applications must be received by August 31, 2022, to receive full consideration, however, candidates will be considered until the position is filled.
Georgia State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state, or local protected class. As a university with a diverse student body, we encourage applications from women and minorities.
- Letters of Reference
- Cover Letter