JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2022 - July 31, 2022
University of California, Los Angeles
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Los Angeles, California, UNITED STATES
H -- Public Economics
J -- Labor and Demographic Economics
J0 -- General
Full Text of JOE Listing:
The California Policy Lab is seeking a Research Manager with significant project management experience and interest/expertise in topics related to labor economics. Administrative microdata on earnings, employment, job training initiatives, and the safety net programs will be used to help inform key policies.
The RM will be the day-to-day lead on CPL research collaborations between faculty and policymakers across the state of California. The successful candidate will be an experienced project manager, capable of acting as the main point of contact between CPL and key external stakeholders, and knowledgeable about the design and analysis of research experiments. He or she will be passionate about leveraging research partnerships to find solutions to labor market problems facing California.
● Coordinates and leads project teams, sets deadlines, and ensures successful completion.
● Manages relationships with government partners
● Works with CPL faculty to support policy experiments, including randomized control trials (RCTs) and quasi-experimental designs.
● Works with CPL staff to coordinate the analysis of large administrative datasets with sensitive individual-level information.
● Co-authors reports and other publications for partners, the public, and others.
● Prepares grant proposals in concert with CPL leadership and faculty affiliates.
● Oversees procedural research tasks, such as maintaining Institutional Review Board submissions.
● Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, business administration or other closely related field
● Substantive knowledge of quantitative research methods and causal inference.
● Substantive knowledge of or interest in labor economics.
● Demonstrable project management experience.
● Attention to detail and ability to organize and document workflow.
● Strong initiative and a resourceful approach to problem-solving.
● Superior verbal and written communication skills.
● Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
● Ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
● Ability to work discreetly with sensitive and confidential data.
● Advanced degree
● Three or more years of professional experience
● Experience working in an academic or think-tank environment.
● Substantive knowledge or experience in at least one of our five core research areas – homelessness, criminal justice, poverty, education, or labor.
● Client management experience.
● Familiarity manipulating and modeling data in Stata, SAS, or R.
● Familiarity with business intelligence tools such as Tableau or PowerBI.
All applicants must apply online at UCLA Career Opportunities:
using requisition number 36048.
- External Application URL and Instructions Below
using requisition number 36048