JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2022 - July 31, 2022
Independence Blue Cross
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: I1 -- Health
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Bring your drive for excellence, team orientation and customer commitment to Independence; help us renew and reimagine our business and shape the future of health care. Our organization is looking to diversify, grow, innovate, and serve, and we are looking for committed, empowered, learning-oriented people to join our team. Independence Blue Cross serves more than 8.5 million people in 25 states and Washington, D.C., including more than 2.5 million in the Philadelphia, PA region making it the leading health insurance company in the region.
Independence is seeking a motivated and curious health outcomes researcher to join our Advanced Analytics team. The researcher will join a productive and dynamic HEOR/evaluation team that supports all areas of our business by conducting prospective and retrospective studies that seek to identify the impact of interventions aimed at improving outcomes. In this role you will partner with business areas to understand programs and policies and design studies to identify effects.
• Work with business areas (e.g., clinical services, pharmacy, sales, marketing, product development, actuarial, etc.) to understand programs, policies, and business needs.
• Develop and execute HEOR studies including retrospective program evaluations and prospective studies related to health care utilization and costs to help inform business decisions.
• Collaborate with team members, providing statistical and methodological expertise and input on study design for projects
• Present results to business stakeholders
• Collaborate with external academic research partners
• Contribute to manuscript preparation for peer-reviewed publications
• PhD in statistics, economics, marketing, public health, psychology, epidemiology, or related field or 5+ years’ experience conducting health services research/HEOR studies
• Familiarity using machine learning techniques for causal inference a plus.
• Excellent written and oral presentation skills
• Record of publishing in peer-reviewed journals preferred
• Proficient conducting complex statistical analyses in Python or R
• Experience implementing a wide-range of research designs involving both statistical and causal inference methodologies, including RCTs; retrospective cohort studies; longitudinal study designs; propensity score matching/weighting techniques; regression discontinuity; difference-in-difference modeling; linear, logistic, Poisson regression; Cox proportional hazards models; mixed effects models, etc.
• Experience with administrative medical and pharmacy claims data
• Experience manipulating and analyzing large, high-dimensional datasets from multiple sources
• Familiarity with relational databases and using SQL to merge and pull data
• Familiarity with reproducible workflows such as Rmarkdown/Jupyter notebooks a plus
To Apply: http://p.
- External Application Link