JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2021 - January 31, 2022
George Mason University
Position Title/Short Description
Section: US: Full-Time Academic (Permanent, Tenure Track or Tenured)
Location: Fairfax, Virginia, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: 00 -- 00 - Default: Any Field
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Tenured Associate/Full Professor, Economics
The George Mason University, Department of Economics seeks applications for a tenured faculty position at the advanced Associate or Full Professor level. Senior applicants should be established world leaders in the field, with influential publications along with a record of teaching and advising Ph.D. students in their research. More junior applicants should have a strong publication record and demonstrated excellence in research.
The department offers a vibrant multi-disciplinary scholarly environment with a focus on political economy. Faculty research and teaching occurs at the nexus of economics and other fields, including history, law, moral philosophy, political science and sociology.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the Department:
Mason’s Economics Department has an intellectually diverse and collegial faculty with an international reputation and we have won two Nobel Prizes. Located just 15 miles from Washington, D.C., we offer broad undergraduate, Masters, and Ph.D. programs. We serve a diverse population of undergraduate and graduate students who bring a wide variety of cultures and backgrounds to our classrooms. For more information on the Department of Economics at George Mason University, visit .
George Mason University has been recognized as the most diverse university in Virginia, and one of the most diverse in the nation. The Economics Department has a strong commitment to achieving excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and effectively teaching and mentoring Mason’s diverse student population. The department strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich the department’s academic and culturally inclusive environments.
The department seeks candidates who complement Mason’s strengths. Successful candidates will be expected to:
• Sustain a robust research program;
• Produce peer-reviewed publications;
• Seek external support for their scholarly activities;
• Teach undergraduate and/or graduate courses;
• Participate in faculty governance; and
• Participate in professional organizations and societies.
• Ph.D. in Economics or other relevant social science;
• An active research agenda that complements Mason’s strengths;
• Demonstrated excellence in research and teaching;
• Interest in improving both the Department and the broader school by active participation, including service in research centers and programs for graduate students; and
• Prior experience in mentoring students and also other faculty.
• Ability to teach advanced courses in political economy or related fields, including history, law, moral philosophy, political science and sociology, as mentioned above;
• Willingness to participate in faculty governance;
• Contribution to intellectual and cultural diversity of the faculty and school and broader profession; and
• Academic potential to become professional leader on a professional scale.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number F638AZ at complete and submit the online application. Applicants are requested to upload a cover letter that includes how the applicant expects to contribute to diversity, as well as a CV and the names of three professional references with contact information.
In a continuing effort to enrich GMU’s academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, we actively encourage applications from all job seekers including members of all ethnic groups underrepresented in higher education.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
- External Application Link