JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2021 - January 31, 2022
Position Title/Short Description
Section: US: Other Academic (Visiting or Temporary)
Location: Stanford, California, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: I1 -- Health
Full Text of JOE Listing:
The Determinants of the Pricing of Pharmaceutical Treatments for Cancer
This postdoctoral fellowship will enable a researcher to investigate the factors that influence the pricing of pharmaceutical treatments in the U.S. to treat cancer. The researcher will collaborate with Abby Alpert (U-Penn), Mireille Jacobson (USC), and Mark Duggan (Stanford) with this research building on our earlier work in this general area. Particular attention will be paid to the impact of the Medicare program through both Part B and Part D reimbursement and regulations.
The researcher will utilize large-scale survey and administrative data for this empirically oriented research. The primary goal will be to investigate the effect of current and past government policies in this arena while shedding light on the likely effects of potential future reforms. We will investigate the effects on patient and physician behavior, access to treatments, pricing by manufacturers and other organizations in the health care sector, and innovation. The researcher will be expected to publish in leading economics, health economics, and health policy journals.
• Completed Doctoral degree between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2021 with quantitative training and research experience in economics, public policy, health policy, or a related field.
• Strong skills in Stata or other statistical software packages.
• Very good oral and written communication skills in English.
• Knowledge of and research on the Medicare program, pharmaceutical pricing, and quasi-experimental methods a plus.
Appointment term: 2 years (though is negotiable)
Appointment start date: January 1, 2022
Required Application Materials:
• Curriculum Vitae
• Cover letter
• One or two research papers
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Application Instructions Below