JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2021 - January 31, 2022
American Institutes for Research
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Locations: UNITED STATES
Washington, DC, District of Columbia, UNITED STATES
Columbia, Maryland, UNITED STATES
Crystal City, Virginia, UNITED STATES
Oakland, California, UNITED STATES
Rockville, Maryland, UNITED STATES
Austin, Texas, UNITED STATES
Chicago, Illinois, UNITED STATES
Waltham, Massachusetts, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: I1 -- Health
US Health System
Domestic health care program evaluation
mixed methods evaluation
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Established in 1946, with headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, AIR is an independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization that conducts behavioral and social science research on important social issues and delivers technical assistance and capacity building services domestically and internationally in health, social development, education, and workforce to a growing roster of clients and partners. Our mission is to generate and use rigorous evidence that contributes to a better, more equitable world.
The Health Economist conducts policy-related research and evaluation studies in the areas of domestic health care program evaluation and research, including such topic areas as Medicare, Medicaid, and other public health insurance programs; aging and long-term care; health plan performance and quality measurement; health information technology; and comparative effectiveness analysis.
• Researching and supporting innovative delivery and financing approaches intended to improve
quality of care, patient satisfaction, and health care efficiency.
• Developing consumer transparency tools such as a cost calculator that enables people with chronic
conditions to determine out-of-pocket expenses when purchasing insurance.
• Collecting and analyzing large data sets.
• Performing policy analysis.
• Developing case studies.
• Writing technical reports and proposals.
• Making presentations to government clients.
• Supervising and mentoring junior research staff.
• Ph.D. (or other advanced degree) in economics, public policy, or a related social science field;
• Strong quantitative and qualitative skills;
• Experience conducting mixed-methods evaluation;
• Experience and knowledge of experimental and quasi-experimental design;
• Demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical material orally and in writing to non-
academic audiences; and
• Previous internship or work experience conducting applied policy related research for federal or
state agencies, although not required will be heavily weighted;
• Must be available to start employment by May/June, 2022.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
AIR adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- Job Market Paper
- Letters of Reference
- Cover Letter
Cover letter, Samples of written work and/or job market paper, and two letters of recommendation should be submitted through JOE.
Deadline for all application materials listed above is November 30, 2021 at 5:00 pm, ET.