JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2021 - January 31, 2022
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Tokyo, JAPAN
C -- Mathematical and Quantitative Methods
D -- Microeconomics
L -- Industrial Organization
M -- Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting; Personnel Economics
Full Text of JOE Listing:
CyberAgent has been expanding its business in Japan based on the rapidly growing internet industry since its founding with the vision of “To create the 21st century’s leading company". We operate “ABEMA”, a new future of television, as well as an Internet advertising business that boasts the top share in Japan. CyberAgent continues to expand its business while creating new businesses to keep up with changes in the Internet industry.
About AI tech studio and AI Lab:
AI tech studio is a division of CyberAgent that develops cutting-edge services in the field of digital marketing. Currently, we are applying the product development process know-how we have cultivated for a long time in digital advertising to areas such as retail, healthcare, and digital government.
AI Lab, a research and development organization of AI tech studio that focuses on the area related to digital marketing. AI Lab is committed to advance fundamental research in AI as well as making a broad impact on society through our service. Since AI Lab is not only providing research solutions to the existing services and also providing core technologies in making new services, there are many researchers from a variety of fields, such as machine learning, econometrics, market/mechanism design, computer vision, natural language processing, and human-computer interaction.
In addition, we collaborate with academic institutions to solve the problems our services face every day in an academically valuable way and also bring state-of-the-art research outcomes to the core business value in our service.
About the Opportunity:
CyberAgent AI Lab is seeking research scientists and applied research scientists to join our team.
We conduct advanced theoretical research in economics, the fusion of economics and machine learning. In addition, we conduct applied research using data from inside and outside of the company.
In this position, you will conduct theoretical and applied research in economics and related fields. You will be expected to contribute to the top international conferences and journals such as
Although it has been only several years since our Economics team was formed, we are actively contributing to top conferences in artificial intelligence and machine learning, such as AAAI, ICML, and NeurIPS, and also are steadily producing results.
In addition, we are actively collaborating with academic economics researchers in Japan and overseas. We are also supporting the Japan Economic Association.
Press release on our collaborative research (in Japanese) and related papers
Research theme examples
-Prediction of Causal Effect(CATE/ITE/Uplift Modeling)
-Application of Mechanism Design
-Evaluation of Bandit / Reinforcement Learning Algorithm
※The theme is not limited to the above
We conduct economics and machine learning related research to be published at international conferences /journals. In addition, team management, recruitment activities, and public relations will be required depending on your position.
(However, non-research tasks can be limited upon request.)
Applied research scientists are also required to conduct social implementation based on economics research.
-Please check below for more details (in Japanese).
- Publications on the top conferences
- Efficient Counterfactual Learning from Bandit Feedback（AAAI2019）
- Efficient Adaptive Experimental Design for Average Treatment Effect Estimation (NeurIPS2019)
- A Feedback Shift Correction in Predicting Conversion Rates under Delayed Feedback (WWW2020)
- Counterfactual Cross-Validation: Stable Model Selection Procedure for Causal Inference Models (ICML2020)
Minimum Qualification Requirements for research scientists and applied scientists
- Ph.D. in Economics or a closely related field.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science who is interested in economics is also welcomed.
- Ability to write papers as a first author and to be published at peer-reviewed conferences and journals.
- Ability to Replicate research results and conduct follow-up research on top of existing papers.
- Proficient skills in R or/and Python, and other statistical analyzing tools.
- Ability to collaborate with members from various backgrounds, e.g., researchers from the other disciplines, data scientists, and engineers
Preferred Qualification Requirements for research scientists
- Knowledge of computer science
- Work or research experience with statistics
- Native or business-level proficiency in Japanese
Applied Research Scientist is also required to have for applied scientists
- Strong interest in social implementation based on economics research-
- Native or business-level proficiency in Japanese
Research papers/link to the papers
- Cover Letter
- Job Market Paper
- Letters of Reference