JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2020 - January 31, 2021
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Locations: Rockville, Maryland, UNITED STATES
Durham, North Carolina, UNITED STATES
Cambridge, Massachusetts, UNITED STATES
00 -- 00 - Default: Any Field
C0 -- General
D0 -- General
H0 -- General
I0 -- General
J0 -- General
Education, Youth, and Families
Workforce Post-secondary education
Equitable evaluation, racial equity, and social determinants of health
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research, evaluation, technical assistance, and program implementation in a range of policy areas. We are recruiting individuals with strong quantitative research skills, research design experience and knowledge of important domestic public policy areas.
Abt’s Division of Social and Economic Policy (SEP) helps guide development of the nation’s prominent policies and programs. Our contributions—at all government levels—have resulted in better programs on housing, community revitalization, education, workforce development, income security, food assistance, and in support of children, youth, and disadvantaged families. Our clients include the Departments of Housing and Urban Development, Education, Health and Human Services, Labor, Veterans Affairs, and the Food and Nutrition Service, among others.
At Abt Associates, we are committed to creating a lasting culture of equity, diversity and inclusion – within Abt and the communities we serve. We recognize that in order to achieve full participation, our practices must be free of prejudice, discrimination, and bias that result in inequitable outcomes. We are actively working to advance equity for everyone. While we still have much work to do, we know that racial and cultural diversity are an asset to our culture, business and the communities where we live and serve. Our ongoing commitment is focused on creating business practices that advance racial and social equity, making investments in community impact programs for the benefit of Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC), and expanding upon project work related to racial equity and social justice.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
• Offers subject-matter expertise in areas related to children, youth, and families. Priority
areas include: housing, workforce, post-secondary education, and early childhood.
• Offers expertise in areas such as equitable evaluation principles, racial equity, and social determinants of health.
• Brings technical expertise related to quantitative and/or qualitative analysis, data collection, and reporting. Rapid cycle evaluation is a priority. May bring more technical skills with software packages (e.g., SAS, Stata, R), although not required.
• Brings experience translating research and making it accessible to practice, policy, and/or government audiences (e.g., writing briefs or reports, presenting to clients, sharing results at meetings or conferences).
• Works well in team settings by communicating respectfully, meeting deadlines, and exercising initiative to resolve complex challenges. Also works well independently and completes complex tasks under indirect supervision where there is latitude for independent action and decision-making.
• Is experienced at managing moderately complex research, evaluation, and/or technical assistance tasks (examples include, but are not limited to: coordinating timelines, overseeing budgets, supervising staff, communicating with clients).
• Is skilled at proposal writing and/or management.
• Has successfully mentored less experienced staff.
• BA with 6 - 8 years of experience OR MA/MBA (3) years of experience OR PhD (Entry Level) OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Applications received before the end of November will be given priority. Please see the Abt Associates website for more details .
• Cover Letter
Application deadline: 1/31/2021
- Cover Letter
- Letters of Reference