JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2020 - July 31, 2020
Position Title/Short Description
Section: International: Other Academic (Part-time or Adjunct)
Location: New Delhi, INDIA
JEL Classification: 00 -- 00 - Default: Any Field
Full Text of JOE Listing:
The Energy Policy Institute at the University of Chicago (“EPIC”) is seeking a dynamic economist and leader to provide intellectual and managerial direction for its India team ("EPIC India").
EPIC India is an environmental and energy economics research group based in New Delhi, India, and affiliated with the Department of Economics at the University of Chicago ("UChicago"). EPIC India's mission is to work hand-in-hand with government and industry partners to identify and rigorously evaluate innovative solutions to India’s most pressing energy and environmental problems. Through these activities, EPIC India aims to identify high-value academic research opportunities for the UChicago community, and communicate EPIC research findings to create lasting impacts on Indian energy and environmental policy.
The Executive Director, EPIC India will manage a growing team of EPIC India staff and will serve as the public face of all EPIC India initiatives. S(he) will act as the bridge between EPIC India and the global EPIC team, based in Chicago, reporting directly to the Director of EPIC. The expected duration of the position is three years.
- Guiding the overall scientific vision and objectives of EPIC India, in consultation with the Director of EPIC.
- Expanding EPIC India's portfolio of applied economics research projects, to maximize UChicago's energy and environment economics footprint in India.
- Establishing the structure of the EPIC India team, managing all staffing and hiring decisions, mentoring junior staff, and appropriately resolving any conflicts in a fair and supportive manner.
- Overseeing ongoing scale-up programs and other strategic initiatives.
- Leading the research design and implementation for multiple research projects, as a Principal Investigator.
- Representing EPIC India and UChicago in high-level interactions with policymakers, officials, experts, and stakeholders, both in private and in public.
- Developing strategic partnerships between EPIC India and key players in Indian energy and environmental policy, including in the government, corporate sector, and civil society.
- Mobilizing and managing financial resources to ensure that the EPIC India team is operating at its maximum potential, strategic programs are being effectively delivered, and the highest-potential research is pursued and executed to completion.
Allocation of Effort
The anticipated breakdown of work is as follows:
50% - Research (as a PI or co-PI)
50% - Management, organizational, and administrative
- PhD in the field of economics or related field.
- 6+ years of economics-related work experience, including 4+ years of work experience in outward- and/or client-facing roles.
- Proven record of publications in internationally-recognized, peer-reviewed journals.
- Excellent oral and writing skills, and a track record of public speaking engagements, and raising funds to support research activities.
- Proven expertise in leading collaborative and cutting-edge economics research.
- Excellent leadership, team management, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of judgement, discretion, and diplomacy. Impeccable commitment to confidentiality.
- Superior problem-solving and decision-making skills, creativity, and attention to detail.
- Experience working in developing countries.
- Demonstrated experience in executing complex projects involving numerous stakeholders.
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently (within India).
- Fluency in local language(s) is preferred
- Application Instructions Below
Candidates are requested to submit the following documents to: , with the subject line “EPIC India Executive Director Application”:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- 3 references and their contact information