JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2019 - January 31, 2020
Competition Dynamics, Inc.
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Salem, Massachusetts, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: 00 -- 00 - Default: Any Field
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Competition Dynamics (CD) is looking to hire an exceptionally talented PhD to join its consulting and expert testimony practice in a key role, which, for qualified individuals, could lead to an eventual appointment as an expert witness.
In this position you will work side by side with CD’s founder and expert, Dr. Jonathan Putnam, and have the opportunity to not only influence the outcome of major cases, but also learn the role of expert witness. Candidates who can demonstrate intellectually rigorous research and analysis in the areas of industrial organization, technological change, or international trade will find this a unique opportunity to learn on the job from one of the country’s leading experts. Also, prior research in the economics of intellectual property or in innovation theory and economics, would be beneficial. In exceptional circumstances, strong candidates with a focus on other empirical research areas will also be considered.
You will need to bring sophisticated and creative thought to CD’s research and analysis in its preparation of expert testimony and reports for litigation. You will assist the project managers in their case preparation and on occasion take on the role of project manager.
You will also have the opportunity to bring your own research agenda to CD as it seeks to develop more reliable and more comprehensive solutions to global high-technology conflicts.
About Competition Dynamics:
Competition Dynamics is an owner-operated economic consulting boutique devoted exclusively to economic research and testimony at the intersection of antitrust, intellectual property, and international trade. Intellectual Asset Management magazine recently noted that Competition Dynamics’ “analysis has a certain rigor that is hard to find elsewhere”.
CD was founded in 2012 by Jonathan Putnam, an expert with over 30 years of experience with the economics of intellectual property, R&D, productivity growth, industrial organization and international trade. Dr. Putnam has been retained in more than 100 consulting engagements and has testified more than 20 times in U.S. state and federal courts, before the U.S. Federal and International Trade Commissions, and in U.S. and international arbitrations, including very large (in excess of $1 billion) and sophisticated cases.
Duties And Responsibilities:
As the Consulting Economist you will
1. Create and review the content of the expert reports for intellectual rigor, thoroughness of analysis and creative problem solving.
2. Assist in evaluating client cases, formulating the damage theories and identifying the best approaches to each case.
3. Manage projects and assist other project managers in the production of expert witness reports and the overall preparation of expert witness testimony.
Required Qualifications And Attributes:
1. You have a PhD in economics from a top university and have earned the reputation as an innovative thinker who is able to create comprehensive solutions to complex problems.
2. You have proven project management and report writing skills, enabling you to concisely summarize the facts of a legal case and generate professional-quality reports on tight deadlines.
3. You are strong at data handling and analysis, and are proficient in SAS, Stata, or MATLAB.
4. Your English communication skills are excellent in both verbal and written form, and you are able to articulate complex economic concepts and explain these in a way understandable to the general public.
5. You are a proactive self-starter, able to manage multiple projects and priorities.
6. You thrive in a challenging work environment and perform well in high stress situations.
7. You are able to teach and mentor junior staff.
8. You have the availability to work long hours, evenings and weekends as necessary, and to travel for client meetings on short notice.
- Application Instructions Below
- Letters of Reference Instructions Below