JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2019 - January 31, 2020
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Locations: Peoria, Illinois, UNITED STATES
Houston, Texas, UNITED STATES
D -- Microeconomics
E -- Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics
L -- Industrial Organization
Q4 -- Energy
Full Text of JOE Listing:
In this position, you will analyze economic developments and determine their impact on business opportunities both short and long term. You will develop forecast scenarios and assess the risks to the company. The role will support Caterpillar’s Energy & Transportation group with business units covering oil and gas, electric power, marine, rail and industrial engines.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include:
• Analyze economic developments and determine their impact on business opportunities both short and long term.
• Use economic data, company sales systems and the most effective statistical and data mining tools to forecast company sales prospects.
• Develop forecast scenarios and assess the risks to the company.
• Follow relevant economic, financial, political, regulatory and societal developments in areas of responsibility and prepare projections of future economic developments.
• Produce economic, industry and market segment studies and other studies and reports.
• Summarize findings in both written documents and make presentations to senior management, regional managers, product managers, dealers and other business units.
• Apply judgment and risk assessments to augment initial projections.
• Develop and apply stock adjustment models to assess long-term opportunities.
• Develop cyclical bands around trend forecasts and create alternate scenarios.
• Follow outside developments in economic theory and forecasting techniques to continually improve economic and forecasting research.
• Contribute to projects requiring economic expertise.
• Coordinate major studies and projects in conjunction with other corporate divisions.
• PhD or PhD candidate in Economics or closely related field. If a PhD candidate, the degree must be received by August 2020 in order to fulfill employment requirement
Top Candidates Will Also Have:
• Understanding of energy markets
• Effective communication skills
• 1-2 years of experience as analyst, researcher or similar
• Demonstrated ability to perform sophisticated economic analyses and prepare written reports of findings
• Publications in a refereed journal or knowledge of a foreign language
* This position can be located in either Houston, TX or Peoria, IL. If located in Houston, travel will be 50% for the first 6 months to complete training with the team in Peoria.
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment based non-immigrant and immigrant visas. However, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website .
- External Application URL and Instructions Below